News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Magnetic DRL's

Guest Darrell

In preparing some information on my DRL / DRA collection the other day ... I went down the line with a magnet ... plop plop plop .. all unmagnetic until SCHTOK !!

My Gold DRL w/ Swastika was sucked into the magnet. I was rather surprised. I thought most DRL's were unmagnetic.

Then today I looked at Carsten Baldes update and low and behold he has a Wernstein Jena Gold DRL w/ Swastika and a Mini Both Magnetic (described as ferrous iron).

I thought this rather interesting. I contacted Carsten and asked if these Ferrous DRLs were rather rare or uncommon. He responded that no ..,. in fact it was the other way round. Unmagnetic ones were uncommon.

Thinking something got lost in the English-German translation .. I sent another confirmation .. he again conformed what he said before.

Anyone else checked their DRL / DRA badges with a magnet? It would be interesting to hear what others have.

Here is a picture of Carstens Badge above mine. I reduced the size of mine because that was how big his was. Not the clearest pic, but clearly good badges.

Edited by Darrell

Guest Rick Research

I've never encountered a steel National Sports Badge before! Stamped out SA ones, yeah, but not this type. Is there an obvious difference in the weight, just handling two for comparison?

It must have been a chore to drill out the elaborate cutouts in a steel badge. speechless1.gif

I've got an "eloxiert" gold DRL with swastika made by Wernstein, and it isn't magnetic. I had always assumed that the lacquer type finish WAS their wartime "good enough" version.

Wernstein seems to have been the main maker of Third Reich national badges-- so is steel peculiar to some of their badges, or does this turn up in OTHER amkers as well?

Maker variant statistical survey time!

Guest Darrell

I've never encountered a steel National Sports Badge before! Stamped out SA ones, yeah, but not this type. Is there an obvious difference in the weight, just handling two for comparison?

It must have been a chore to drill out the elaborate cutouts in a steel badge.  speechless1.gif 

I've got an "eloxiert" gold DRL with swastika made by Wernstein, and it isn't magnetic. I had always assumed that the lacquer type finish WAS their wartime "good enough" version.

Wernstein seems to have been the main maker of Third Reich national badges-- so is steel peculiar to some of their badges, or does this turn up in OTHER amkers as well?

Maker variant statistical survey time!

On that OTHER forum rolleyes.gif There is a fellow that has a steel Wernstein Jena War Wounded. Looks like a beauty. So far .... ( unsure.gif ) ... it appears that the magnetic ones are all this maker.

Guest Darrell

Is there an obvious difference in the weight, just handling two for comparison?

Regarding that "other" thread .. his magnetic WW DRL was 16.6 grams, my NON-Magnetic WW DRL = 16.9 grams. Pretty close.

Guest Rick Research

Forgot to add GRADE to the statistical maker survey too. Could it be something to do with a particular class finish?

I shall be taking a magnet with me to shows from now on. beer.gif

Darrel,

I have the following:

2 DRA bronze by Wernstein, non-magnetic

2 DRA silver by Wernstein, non-magnetic

DRA gold by Eugen Marcus, non-magnetic

DRL bronze without swastika, no maker, centre not cut out between the letters, non-magnetic

DRL bronze with swastika by Wernstein, magnetic

Tust this helps,

David

Darrel,

I have the following:

2 DRA bronze by Wernstein, non-magnetic

2 DRA silver by Wernstein, non-magnetic

DRA gold by Eugen Marcus, non-magnetic

DRL bronze without swastika, no maker, centre not cut out between the letters, non-magnetic

DRL bronze with swastika by Wernstein, magnetic

Tust this helps,

David

Thanks David ... interesting pattern developing ....

a) Contrary to what Herr Baldes said .. the NON-Magnetic appear to be the more bountiful.

b) The Wernstein Jena's appear to be the only Magnetic (so far) ...

P.S. ... if you ever want to sell your DRL Bronze w/o let me know ! wink.gif

Edited by Darrell

Hi Don ... the rest are magnetic?

Sorry Darrell, forgot to check back blush.gif No, I only have the two DRL's.

Regarding the War wounded shown on WAF, looks wonderful, but also looks "different" to all of the others I've seen before. The finish is different, almost as though it's a polished bronze with silver letters...... I'm not saying it's bad, just looks different.

Cheers

Don