News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Where the heck is "Swatow", "Swaton" or whatever?

[attachmentid=10545]

Transcribed by RR: "Soochow Creek I" and "Swatow Thal m. Kak...io v SW." These pencil ones are a bit light for me on first passes. Swatow is indeed the place name. And "Soochow Creek" is a place known to all 1930s United States Marine collectors!

Guest Rick Research

I added in a few transcriptions under each photo so there wouldn't be flipping back and forth to remember.

The really great thing about these sharp and clear photos is that they ere taken by Dr Hansen himself-- or with his camera OF him. Not a "pre packaged" tourist photo in the lot.

And mind you-- at the end of 1900 when many of these roaming around the countryside around Shanghai photos were taken... the Boxer Rebellion was still almost a year from being suppressed. Those happy-go-licky picnickers could have been sliced up in pieces at any moment. GREAT stuff.

This is a vanished world... and in the lifetime of people now living.

• 3 years later...
    Guest Rick Research

Claudio-- just got the Naval Medical Officers Stammliste 1848-1918 from Glenn :jumping::cheers:

Notice that while his Turkish War Medal star is listed, he has inexplicably omitted the L?beck Hanseaatic Cross from his home City State (15.12.17-- :cheers: Stijn), shows no wartime PrRKM3, and also skipped the XXV and 1897 he was entitled to by length of service. :speechless:

THAT is a prime example of why Research Gnomes "triangulate" from as many DIFFERENT sources as possible-- since individually, each may be flawed. :rolleyes:

That's another great addition... thanks to both of you, Glenn and Rick!!! :speechless:

It is also interesting that the FJO (Offizierskreuz/Steckkreiz) is not mentioned as well... I got it too, along with the bar and an album with a collection of invitation & business cards and menu's of special dinners he went to.

Ciao,

Claudio

Guest Rick Research

It is sloppily haphazard how these self-reported sources actually printed data. :speechless1: That's what makes the Research Gnome Collective's combined efforts so necessary-- and frustrating. To just look at a SINGLE source and assume that it is correct or complete is :banger: .

Given Roman Slivin's work on Austro-Hungarian awards to Germans I am sure that will turn up in time.

• 1 year later...

Finally I managed to post also this photograph showing Hansen somewhere in Africa. I guess he's the guy in the middle with the beard.

Ciao,

Claudio

A few years late in noticing that photo, but I'm pretty sure those are New Guinea Polizeitruppe wearing their brown kepis worn before 1902. See http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Polizei_Neuguinea_1885.jpg

Cheers

Chris