News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial ribbon on Wehrmacht long service bar

This is the best I can get of the bar. After the 1914-18 cross I see a ribbon of one light colour (light blue? yellow?) then a light ribbon with two darker stripes (red stripes on white?). Any ideas? The final three ribbons are the WWI commemorative medals of Hungary, Austria and Bulgaria (in that order).

Edited by James Clark

Guest Rick Research

If the original photo si that bad :speechless1: no clue.

What is equally intriguing is that he appears to be wearing

contrary to all regulations and sense

the ribbon for a SUDETENLAND ANNEXATION MEDAL ribbon under the KVK2(X) in his buttonhole!!! :speechless1:

the ribbon for a SUDETENLAND ANNEXATION MEDAL ribbon under the KVK2(X) in his buttonhole!!! :speechless1:

Maybe too cheap to buy a new ribbon bar?

If the original photo si that bad :speechless1: no clue.

I've managed to replace the full picture with a better scan, but can't do any better on the ribbon bar. The Sudetenland medal ribbon at the button hole is certainly unusual. But the other thing that attracted me to this picture was the blob above the eagle emblems on the long service ribbons. I'm pretty sure that this is the 40 year oak-leaves device being worn above and between the two eagles rather than below the first eagle.

Edited by James Clark

Guest Rick Research

I thought that was simply a 'splotch" as originally posted, but the clearer scan makes me think that

:speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

you are right-- it's a "40" wreath OVER and centered between the 2 eagles!!!!! :speechless:

Crossed cannons on his boards?

I cannot find an Oberstleutnant (W) at beginning of WW2 who matchs any possible combination from the Reichsheer.

A very nice EPSON SCAN of that ribbon bar, made directly at Nice Large Size with no fiddling around resizing pixels, might help substantially.

I can't think of any other branch that fist the shade Waffenfarbe he's wearing with this low a rank possible after 40 years.

These are the best my scanner will do without having to resize or adjust in some other way. I don't think they're much better. I'd hoped the order of precedence might help - there seem to be a fairly limited number of possibilities of what is supposed to appear after the 1914-18 cross and before long service awards. But I don't know how this works in reality. I'm sure he has some sort of device on his right shoulder board but it just isn't visible enough even under magnification to even take a decent guess at.

Guest Rick Research

That third one is a complete loss. The 4th one, if I had to guess, I'd think was the Prussian General Decoration Medal in Silver-- same ribbon as the Red Eagle Order (2 orange stripes on white).

Could this man be a TSD officer? I'm not sure how the cornflower blue arm-color would transfer in black-and-white, but the device on his boards could be the winged-scepter. The 40 years device and the rank would make sense then (a late-war career Oberfeldintendant).

Edited by Andwwils

Guest Rick Research

Could be... but the general impression I get is of an early war uniform--

that weird Sudeten in the buttonhole, and the pre-war bullion cap wreath with metal cockade and eagle.

I'd guess more circa 1940/41.

He could be a career veterinairy or judicial officer. Promotions in those two branches would have been especially slow during the inter-war years and both would have had the obligatory shoulder board devices as well. Early war is my gut-feeling too.

Thanks for all your views. Unfortunately there is nothing more I can say about the picture as there is nothing on the back and short of the miraculous software seen on CSI I don't think it's possible to get anything else from the picture. The third ribbon is almost certainly one plain, light colour and there is probably a device on his shoulder boards in addition to a single rank pip but that's as far is it will go I'm afraid. Still, I hope you found it interesting.

James