News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Vietnam Zippo Unit ID Help.

Glenn R

Guest Rick Research

The patch is that of the 44th Medical Brigade, which arrived in the RVN 24 April 1966 and departed 14 December 1970. Originally headquartered near Saigon and then moved to Long Binh.

Component units were:

43rd, 55th, 67th, and 68th Medical Groups, and 32nd Medical Depot.

...and in living color the shoulder sleeve insignia looks like this.

However, my all-time favorite VN Zippo is the one where on one side is the outline of country with various points of interest named and on the other the venerable Snoopy laying on the back of his doghouse. The inscription below reads:

F--- It!

• 8 years later...

I have a Zippo as well - bought it while travelling in Vietnam almost 20 years ago (urgh, that sounds bad!)

Code at the bottom indicates it's a 1969 Zippo.

It appears to have belonged to a 1stLt W.E. Cates Jr

He appears to have been a member of the 1st Infantry Division... and the 16th Infantry Regiment.

Is there any way to find out more about him or possibly get this back to the family?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-679-0-43372500-1381623164.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-679-0-96983000-1381623173.jpg

Those of us that left Nam walking, we left with two things, a Zippo lighter and a Seiko watch and those of us that were career soldiers, we wore a set of Sang Woo double knit khakis and when we got back stateside, we overdosed on cheese and chocolate.

My zippo had inscribed, "When I die bury me face down, so the whole world can kiss my a............................

I have a Zippo as well - bought it while travelling in Vietnam almost 20 years ago (urgh, that sounds bad!)

He appears to have been a member of the 1st Infantry Division... and the 16th Infantry Regiment.

Is there any way to find out more about him or possibly get this back to the family?

attachicon.gifIMG_4789.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4790.JPG

Yes there is...go to www.military.com, sign up and go to the unit membership pages to that unit and ask all those members if anyone knows today or remembers that name. You might very well get a response. If you find out he was West Point, that makes it very easy, if OCS or ROTC, a bit harder.

So, where's the photo? And the Zippo?

Man!!!! that was forty three years ago when I returned......hell, I've divorced so many times, I'm lucky to have anything left!!!!

I do have, somewhere, a Zippo that came out commemorating the 50th Anniversary of D-Day. I'd would trade that say for a MG unit marked bayonet. :D

So, where's the photo? And the Zippo?

Ya heard that old saying, it's a small world??? You have no idea how many ex-wives, ex-girlfriends, husbands of wives and all those green eyed blond haired kids in their 30s and 40s around the world looking for me, so a photo is not possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ninja::D

attachicon.gifIMG_4789.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4790.JPG

You can also check here:

http://16thinfassn.org/?page_id=80

http://www.e-yearbook.com/yearbooks/United_States_Military_Academy_West_Point_Howitzer_Yearbook/1967/Page_175.html

Is it possible for somebody to graduate in 1967 and be a 1stLt by around 1969 - early 1970's? If so, I may have pinpointed W.E. Cates as a Westpoint graduate.

Yip!!!! The day Butter Bars arrived "In-Country" in Nam, they aromatically became a 1st Lt.

Yip!!!! The day Butter Bars arrived "In-Country" in Nam, they aromatically became a 1st Lt.

Excellent - emails sent out and posted on various fora in hope of finding his (or his families) contact details. Would (hopefully) be a nice Christmas surprise for an old Zippo lighter to appear 44 years later!

Thanks - would appreciate if he could get me into contact with somebody at Westpoint who could provide my contact details to W.E. Cates (if possible).

I've been posting on various fora (but suspect odds are slim there) and emails (e.g. to Westpoint) are bouncing or I'm seeing page after page of "we are closed due to government shutdown".

I understand the needs for data privacy so would be more than willing to provide my contact details to be forwarded to 1stLt or his family.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob, I'll pass the info on..................Justin and wife are on vacation in NM at the moment, so it might take awhile.

Ed

Thanks - would appreciate if he could get me into contact with somebody at Westpoint who could provide my contact details to W.E. Cates (if possible).

I've been posting on various fora (but suspect odds are slim there) and emails (e.g. to Westpoint) are bouncing or I'm seeing page after page of "we are closed due to government shutdown".

I understand the needs for data privacy so would be more than willing to provide my contact details to be forwarded to 1stLt or his family.

Thanks,

Bob

Thanks Ed

No rush - I can easily be reached through a PM here on GMIC and the lighter is back to the box in the bottom of the drawer where it was safely lying. With 44 years past it, I'm sure a little bit more patience won't be an issue.

Fingers crossed that somehow a connection will be possible and the lighter can go back to it's rightful owner again.

Bob, Just received a reply from Justin, he said he could find out more when he returns home (East Tenn). They are in Flagstaff at the moment, after there, they head home.

Thanks Ed

No rush - I can easily be reached through a PM here on GMIC and the lighter is back to the box in the bottom of the drawer where it was safely lying. With 44 years past it, I'm sure a little bit more patience won't be an issue.

Fingers crossed that somehow a connection will be possible and the lighter can go back to it's rightful owner again.