News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

White Drill Undress Jacket

I'm considering purchasing a Black Watch "officer's" white drill undress jacket. I've also heard it described as the buff undress jacket, illustrations seem to generally show one or the other.

Unfortunately I can't find a good reference on the jackets. Here's what I know. They were introduced around 1840, from that time worn definately by other ranks by probably not by officers. After the Crimean War they fell out of favour with most of the Army but were maintained in use by the Highland and Guards regiments for the rest of the Victorian age. In 1907 another pattern was introduced, this time a bit longer and less like a shell jacket, but was put aside during the First World War and used rarely after it.

The tunic I'm looking at probably dates to well after the Crimean War, but it isn't dated or named. The problem is, Highland officers don't seem to have worn these around the time of the Crimean War and the Mutiny. I've found quite a few prints of Guard regiments showing only other ranks wearing this jacket, with officers wearing different gear altogether.

So the question I pose is simple. When do you think officers started wearing the same drill jacket as other ranks? Or, if you think they never did, why else would there be single buttons on the shoulder of a drill uniform with gilt buttons?

As noted, all opinions solicited, facts are better, outright lies are acceptable as long as I like what they say. :cheeky::rolleyes::speechless:

~TS

• 1 month later...