News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy - Searching for literature on Italian badges

Hi all,

A friend has asked me to enquire here if anyone can help point us in the right direction as far as Italian Badges go. Does anyone know of any resources (be it books/websites or other) that can help in identifying Italian badges? Anything at all?

Thanks,

Marco

I know there is a nice book covering Red Cross medals and badges,

text is Itallian, rummors of a revised english language eddition...

and would suspect there are other similar badge books

though I can't name them...

some of it may be covered in their journals

usually prices climb after a book has been released

and prices have been rising on Italian lines

• 1 month later...

You didn't specify which period you are interested, but if you are interested in the fascist RSI period, there are two volumes by Fausto Sparacine, "Catalogo dei distintivi e medaglie della Repubblica Sociale Italiana 1943-45", both in softcover, nicely illustrated, and available for about 30 euros each in Italy. Naturally, the text is in Italian.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Ed,John's site is the only one I know about. I could do a post trying to list the different types (military,commerative,para-military) of Italian medals. Nobody would care. If anybody wanted to buy the books on Italian medals/badges they would spend almost $3,000 and learn to read Italian. But most of the good books are out of print anyway.In my experience most people want to identify the item and find out how much they can sell it for. Besides,there is a section for identification on this forum anyway. I posted a few items there but got no help. Rich A. in Pa.

Ed,John's site is the only one I know about. I could do a post trying to list the different types (military,commerative,para-military) of Italian medals. Nobody would care. If anybody wanted to buy the books on Italian medals/badges they would spend almost $3,000 and learn to read Italian. But most of the good books are out of print anyway.In my experience most people want to identify the item and find out how much they can sell it for. Besides,there is a section for identification on this forum anyway. I posted a few items there but got no help. Rich A. in Pa.

"Nobody would care"? Au contraire, mon ami, at least one of us would be very interested in good documentation on Italian medals from Risorgimento up to the present. It would also be helpful, in view of the plethora of unofficial / semiofficial stuff, to have guidance on which were authorized for wear on the uniform.

And then, if you're feeling especially industrious, you could go back before unification to the different states.

Best,

Hugh

There is interest growing in the Italian militaria market. I have noticed over the last year or two some of the bigger dealers at the SOS or the MAX with signs that read " Looking to buy German, Japanese, and Italian items." Where a few years ago these same dealers would not even touch the Italian pieces.

~Ed Maroli

Ed,If you had a business dealing in militaria would you not look into expanding product line?

Now with internet sales waiting for a buyer to walk by is not a issue. Besides if I was selling Italian badges/insignia I'd sell it all in Italy. Here there is a little interest. Over there there is much more interest and the prices of items is greater. Go to the MILITALIA show this year and find out. My collection is worth a lot here. It is worth much more there. Perhaps my attitude is a bit off to you. This is because I have worked full time in the militaria field for so long at my friends Army/Navy store(The Great War Store). I was doing the walk in buying for the store among other things. I know how much was paid for items. I was told to not pay much. Now I go to flea markets and the like for my militaria. I see lots of dealers buying there. I see the $10 item become a $90 item(or more). Like I say all the time if collectors knew what this stuff actualy cost,dealers would be in trouble. Rich A. in Pa.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I didn't see this thread, I apologize.

In my opinion, the best literature on the Italian Decorations and medals are the two volumes of A. Brambilla "200 Anni di Medaglie", where all official and semi-official decorations are completely described (also if there are variations, etc.). Now, these two books are out-of-print, but in these last three years, Brambilla is working on the 2nd edition, one single volume, fully revised and illustrated with colour photographs. An English resum?e is also planned, as an appendix.

Anyways, if there would be questions about Italian orders, decorations & medals, where possible, I'll be glad to be of help.

Best wishes,

Enzo