News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Photography + medal

Hundtorget

At first - english is not my language.

Secondly - i dont read russian and dont collect military awards.

I live at Gotland a pretty small island in Sweden. We have a small and simple countryside auctionhouse in my small village and there they sold the things from a man who had a russian mother recently. I bought the photoalbums who contained photos (many of militarys) and postcards (many from Sibiria) from russia. I also bought a small box with some small things and among them a ordinary soldiers cross and a regiment memory medal (?) stamped 56 and 84. This regiment is called F 8 and maybe it was situated in Viborg (betwen Helsinki and Petersburg) The man on the photo is in the same regiment. Does anyone know something about what type of regiment it was? If it had some name? Is it possible for someone to translate what is written on the photo?

I will later take a photo of the medal and send it here.

Thankyou for any answers.

Guest Rick Research

This highly decorated officer wrote

"to dear Ivan

Matveevich Borisov in

friendly remembrance from

Viktor (Last name is too scribbly of me at this moment-- Shos...okovsky?)

18.6. 1908 Kazan"

so that is apparently where this regiment was stationed.

A lovely medallion. The front is the same name advised to you "Ivan

Matveevich Borisov "

The back says Tovarich, the word the communists took over to mean "comrade" in a political sense, but which in those days simply meant "friend".

Hallo Hundtorget :cheers:

Welcome to the forum, great picture and item :jumping::jumping: (is it a Regimental Jeton? as opposed to a medal?)

If you have any more military pictures from the album please post, as period items from this time are scarce to find.

In the picture if you look to the immediate left of the medal bar you can see a Jeton hanging by a chain from his top button

hole, maybe the same as this but turned inwards :unsure:

Pity the rosette is obscured by the uniform jacket flap :(

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Bonjour Hundtorget,

Very nice group !

A few comments :

I agree with Kev, the medal is actually a "Jeton".

They were widely used during Imperial times as mementoes of events, postings, showing which military academy you came from, etc.

I don't know exactly what exact official character they carried, but they were widely worn in uniform ; see example from my photo collection here :

http://www.hussards-photos.com/Russie/Russ...DV_Discours.htm

As for your jeton, you'll notice that it bears the mark of a regiment (the "8F") and a mark of rank (the vertical stripes).

From what I understand, the rank would be that of a Colonel.

As for the regiment shown on both jeton and shoulder board, it is most likely the 8th Finland Rifle Regiment, stationned in Viborg in 1914 (belonging to the 2nd Finland Rifle Brigade).

See example of Rifle Regiment shoulder boards here :

http://www.xenophon-mil.org/rusarmy/shenk/shenk13hs.htm

So if I get it right, the man in the photograph likely was Colonel of the 8th Finland Rifle Regiment, who'd have given jetons to his old comrade-in-arms as a reminder of their war time service.

A wonderful group indeed !

Salutations,

Jerome

Thank You all!

My conclusions after what you have written: It is a regimental jeton given to Ivan M. Borisov from the fellow officers in 8th Finland Rifle Regiment in Viborg where he served 1908 - 1913.

I have the rest of the photos in an other place. As i remember this photo was with the most decorated person. There are many more of militarys. IThere are not many later photos from russia but maybe some? I am wery interested in Ivan Borisovs later history. I will search for more photos to send.

This may not be wery interesting but these two simple bbadges was the only thinngs besides the regiment jeton that i bought. Do you know anything about the soldiers cross? The other is an ordinary shooting badge i think.

In "Non communist north european countrys" i have asked a question about a regimentary jeton that may have belonged to the daughter of this russian officer.