News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kiv?l? Politikai Tiszt & Hat?rőrs?g Badge

Gents,

Here ia comparison between the first style Border Guard badge and the last style. The early one measures 56mm

(2 1/4") by 53mm (2 1/8") and the later one 45mm (1 3/4") by 33mm (1 /516"). The P.V. on the late badge above indicates manufacture by the Hungarian State Mint.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

• 7 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

And here is my "Kivalo Hatar?r" M1957 pair, found at my local monthly show this past Sunday--

Thanks for getting me into the right thread, Charles! :cheers:

I had assumed maybe 1950s because of the quality of the enamel, but Igor's got one in the ubiquitous Warsaw Pact orangey-red plastic (yuck) box like Gordon shows above which I had thought was 1980s--

and now learn must have been 1960s. THAT must be why the wretched flimsy hinges are so often broken-- they're all over 40 years old and every time the box gets opened.... :speechless1:

What exactly is the mini FOR? Were such things actually much worn on civilian (?) clothing, or is this just another example of Useless Excess like the cloth ribbon bars with mini devices issued with medals and Orders that were never actually worn as ribbon bars?

The minis I ahve never seen worn in any form of clothing...Since being in the Interior Ministry tended to have a negative impression among the general populace it was not very popular to say "here I am, I make sure you dont have freedom of travel to the West...".

As for the cases - these are from the late 1970's. I think many of these have surfaced with the plastic cases as the mint sold off New Old Sotck in the 1990's. I am happy to point out that your example for the full sized one is an early example...

• 10 months later...

After examining them for differences - the only thing that I can see between to two is the guilding on the latest one is a bit heavier than the original. The die characteristics appear to be the same so by comparison these were struck on the same die and the attaching prongs affixed by hand. With only 19 ever awarded - and the Politcal Officer Corps so small I estimate that only 50-100 of these badges were probably ever struck - but until the National Mint opens up its records we wont know...