News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sport Master

Guest Rick Research

I can't remember ever seeing one for sale.

It is Badge #198 in V.A.Borisov's "Nagrudnye Znaki Sovetskikh Vooruzhennykh Sil 1918-1991"--

created by decree of the Ministry of Defense 12 January 1950, it is a purely military badge, to rank above the round 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Class sports badges authorized in 1949.

I'm not sure when this went out of use-- probably when the M1961 sports badges (little aluminum stars) were created?

I also cannot recall ever seeing a photo of this "Master of Sport" badge being worn.

"Master of Sports" was very special designation during Soviet times.

Basically the title was given for conisistantly achieving certaing performance results (ie run 100 meters in XX seconds). Athletes who were bestowed such title proudly wore their badges!

In addition to "Master of Sports", there were related titles:

1) Candidate Master of Sports (one level below Master)

2) Master of Sports

3) Distinguished (Zasluzheniy) Master of Sports

4) Master of Sports of International Level (Maser Sporta Mezhdunarodnogo Klassa)

Distunguished and International Masters were given to the medal winners of international competitions.

There were aslo designations for the coaches of accomplished athletes. I have a badge for "Honored Coach" somewhere.

Hope this helps,

William

Three badges:

- Honored Coach

- two badges Distinguished (Zasluzheniy) Master of Sports

After the fall of USSR some former republics adopted their own Master of Sports titles (ie Russian Federation, Ukraine, Georgia). They still exist today.

Edited by new world