News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Various Soviet Shoulder Boards

matteti

Hello fellow members!

I have seventeen pairs of soviet shoulder boards and I would like to get some help for identification.

I would like to know get the rank (when there are stars on the boards), branch or army, parade/service/field, and approximate period.

I start with 1-7 in the following layout:

1-2-3

4-5-6

Edited by matteti

Guest Rick Research

OK, these are very poor, very small scans, which makes accurate identifications difficult since the colors need to be PRECISE.

Another trick is: scan the boards SIDEWAYS and THEN turn them right side up. If you do it like that, the shadows will not turn the braid patterns into shredded wheat.

1) Junior Lieutenants to Captains (unissued) dress uniforms 1958+

2) are these GRAY SILKY MATERIAL or SILVER METALLIC BULLION? Underlay red or maroon or ?

3) army Major General pre-1965, underlay color = red, or ?

4) airforce (if that color blue is accurate) Jr Lt to Capt unissued ovecoat straps 1958+

5) army Major to Colonel field uniform boards-- GREEN or MUD colored tops?

6) Rear Admiral 1958+

7) army Major General circa 1958-65. Underlay color = red or ?

8) military school cadet

9) Major but is this stripes added on top of plain cloth or woven into embroidered pattern top?

10) army Warrant Officer for white shirts

11) parachute unit Lieutenant for white shirt

12) air force Senior Lieutenant 1949+

13) 2 red stripes sewn on plain cloth or all embroidered into a pattern together?

14) army Captain field or overcoat see next

15) army Colonel field-- are these two stripes added onplain cloth or all in an embroidered pattern? If they are actually DARK GREEN as they look, circa 1958-69

16) M1969 civil police (Militia) Junior Lieutenant for a form of dress with collar tabs

17) M1969 civil police Sergeant major for a form of dress without collar tabs

Most of these are probably 1980s, but a couple of the dark green ones are early 1960s and Generals with silver stars changed to gold stars ABOUT 1965, so silver stars are earlier.

I tried to make the pictures very small not to use too many posts.

Here is what I was able to come to. Thanks Rick. I see that again you started to answer me very quickly.

I will try to re-scan them later on the other side as you suggested.

1- Junior Officer - ? - Parade - ?

2- Major General - Tank Troop - Service - Period?

3- Major General - Air Force - Parade? - Period?

4- Junior officer - Air Force - Field? - Period?

5- Senior Officer - ? - Field? - ?

6- Counter Admiral - Navy - Parade? - Period?

7- Major General - Tank Troop - Parade? - Period?

8- Kursuant - ? - ? - ?

9- Major - ? - ? -?

10- Junior Lieutenant - ? - ? - ?

11- Lieutenant - Airborne Troops - ? - ?

12- Senior Lieutenant - Air Force - Parade - ?

13- Senior Officer - ? - ? - ?

14- Captain - ? - ? - ?

15- Colonel - ? - ? - ?

16- Junior Lieutenant - ? - ? - ?

17- ? - ? - ? - ?

Edited by matteti

Guest Rick Research

If #2 is gray silk embroidered top and NOT silver metallic thread, that is simply a set for OVERCOATS, after 1965.

This is what I mean about the colored stripes sewn on plain uniform cloth--

This is a M1958 KGB Lieutenant Colonel's field service tunic board as worn until 1969-- a dark green color for them and the army. In 1969 uniforms became mud-khaki color. This came out looking brown (it is really green) but it is still DARK, while newer boards are much lighter colored.

I put my answers after your comments...

OK, these are very poor, very small scans, which makes accurate identifications difficult since the colors need to be PRECISE.

Another trick is: scan the boards SIDEWAYS and THEN turn them right side up. If you do it like that, the shadows will not turn the braid patterns into shredded wheat.

1) Junior Lieutenants to Captains (unissued) dress uniforms 1958+

2) are these GRAY SILKY MATERIAL or SILVER METALLIC BULLION? Underlay red or maroon or ?

==> You made me doubt and go back to my box deep in the wardrobe, but I found it and finally, it is silky embroidery, not metallic tread, only the star has metallic tread. Underlay is red.

3) army Major General pre-1965, underlay color = red, or ?

==> not red, but BLUE (feels like felt)

4) airforce (if that color blue is accurate) Jr Lt to Capt unissued ovecoat straps 1958+

5) army Major to Colonel field uniform boards-- GREEN or MUD colored tops?

==> Green like 'army green' (I just notice this one has a stamp which shows 1990 for date)

6) Rear Admiral 1958+

==> black (felt)

7) army Major General circa 1958-65. Underlay color = red or ?

==> RED (felt)

Edited by matteti

Guest Rick Research

For the ones in question, just scan ONE board... but also the underlay colors.

#3 is PROBABLY air force, but I cannot se enough color to tell. That could be 1943-58.

There is plain bright red for most army generals, but also a sort of maroon, and a purplie/red and ...

My answers in after your comments again..

8) military school cadet

9) Major but is this stripes added on top of plain cloth or woven into embroidered pattern top?

==> I would say woven into embroidered pattern top (I see a small tread, but it's nothing comparable to # 13 where you really feel the stripe is not is not part of the boards but sewn on top of it

10) army Warrant Officer for white shirts

11) parachute unit Lieutenant for white shirt

12) air force Senior Lieutenant 1949+

13) 2 red stripes sewn on plain cloth or all embroidered into a pattern together?

==> sewn on plain cloth, and the boards seem thinner than others, very soft surface and we clearly see sewn on stripes

14) army Captain field or overcoat see next

15) army Colonel field-- are these two stripes added onplain cloth or all in an embroidered pattern? If they are actually DARK GREEN as they look, circa 1958-69

==> in an embroided pattern, they are black with red striped

16) M1969 civil police (Militia) Junior Lieutenant for a form of dress with collar tabs

17) M1969 civil police Sergeant major for a form of dress without collar tabs

Most of these are probably 1980s, but a couple of the dark green ones are early 1960s and Generals with silver stars changed to gold stars ABOUT 1965, so silver stars are earlier.

For the ones in question, just scan ONE board... but also the underlay colors.

#3 is PROBABLY air force, but I cannot se enough color to tell. That could be 1943-58.

There is plain bright red for most army generals, but also a sort of maroon, and a purplie/red and ...

Here is the reverse for # 3. It is a blue that is pretty dark and which is close "green" color. But definitely blue. The scan color is not the best, it is darker in reality. It's definitely Air force... I bought it from Doug Drabik some years ago and if I remember correcly, he said they were the type used during late GPW and shortly after.

Guest Rick Research

Yup. PERFECT air force boards! The color can vary from very pale pearl-gray to sky blue to a dull medium blue. 1943-58. Nice!

I have a pair that only has a strip of "waffenfarbe," with the base being uniform material:

the dull blue on these has faded on top to pearl-gray. 1943-46 buttons.

#13 ids the M1958 then, last worn in 1969.

#14 and #15 are BLACK? Then those are naval infantry (marines). Navy insignia I am not as sure about dating-- I do not have as much on regulations for the navy.

Thanks a lot Rick for your detailed answers and very helpful information! You really know a lot and in various area!

Those were scans I had already in the PC. I will try to make new and better scans sometime later placing them sideway as you suggested and will post the ones still unclear.

There is a huge difference when scanning them sideways.. we can clearly see details of the golden surface on your scans... mines are all shredded wheats as you said!

Thanks again,

Etienne

Edited by matteti

9 and 10 with a high probability the Soviet milicia

Thanks for your comments Sergey.

I paid them around 1$ each exepted the general ones who came from Doug Drabik and weremuch more expensive (though at a friend's price!)