News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here is my latest addition-a nice airgunner.Came cased,but unfortunately only in a Fliegersch?tze case.To my understanding these badges by Juncker were bolt-removed.Anyone with a similar piece to establish whether it was factory or field removed?

Hi, R.

Firstly, if we look at the ?Juncker? RO/AG series, we?ll get a feeling for the production timeline.

Top left: 1st pattern wreath/1st pattern eagle.

Top right: 1st pattern wreath/2nd pattern eagle.

Bottom left: 2nd pattern wreath/3rd pattern eagle

Bottom right: 2nd pattern wreath/4th pattern eagle.

If we look at the production timeline of the RO/AG we can place your badge (2nd pattern wreath/3rd pattern eagle) as being produced around 1938/39. These 2nd pattern wreath/3rd pattern eagle types would have been issued until the new dies for Juncker?s zinc series (2nd pattern wreath/4th pattern eagle) came out, suggesting that the odds are that your badge had most likely already left the factory, been issued and was modified by either a jeweller or in-field after the order ?No.1698? (22nd June 1942) was published instituting the AG/FE badge and stating that those who held the RO/AG badge, were air gunners, should have the bolts removed to distinguish them from radio operators.