News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I am researching a chap who was awarded a QSA with Transvaal clasp, the date range for this award is 24/05/1900 - 31/05/1902

To get the clasp did he have to be in the Transvaal over this whole preiod? I'm trying to track his whereabout during his service and this is the only clasp he had. He was in the 2nd bat Lancs Fusiliers but it looks like he joined them after Spion Kop as he has no relief of Ladysmith clasp.

Thanks for any help

Rich

I am researching a chap who was awarded a QSA with Transvaal clasp, the date range for this award is 24/05/1900 - 31/05/1902

To get the clasp did he have to be in the Transvaal over this whole preiod? I'm trying to track his whereabout during his service and this is the only clasp he had. He was in the 2nd bat Lancs Fusiliers but it looks like he joined them after Spion Kop as he has no relief of Ladysmith clasp.

Thanks for any help

Rich

Dear Rich the clasp was issued to all troops in the transvaal any time between 24 May 1900-31 May 1902 who were ineligible for any action clasps in the Transvaal, So therefore not the whole period.

IE he could have had month in 1901.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Thanks Paul, looks like I'm going to have to request his service record, fortunately he was an officer so it should be straight forward!!

Rich

Dear Rich the clasp was issued to all troops in the transvaal any time between 24 May 1900-31 May 1902 who were ineligible for any action clasps in the Transvaal, So therefore not the whole period.

IE he could have had month in 1901.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Thanks Paul, looks like I'm going to have to request his service record, fortunately he was an officer so it should be straight forward!!

Rich

Rich,

If you have the guys rank name and regiment I have all the relevant arny lists so I may be able to give you the answer.

Paul

Thanks Paul!!

His details are as follows

2nd Lieut., Fenwick, N.A.F., 2nd Bn., Transvaal, EC Roll: 179/109, SA 1902

(Not sure exactly what EC Roll is!!)

He was with the Lancashire Fusiliers, that is all the infomation I have!!

Thanks for any help , really appreciated. The reason for me researching is that I have just acquired a MLE Rifle butt stock with the Lancs Fus "badge" carved into it and the initials N.A Fenwick. I am pretty sure it is this officer. It was sold as a WW1 stock on ebay but I suspect it is from the Boer war.

Cheers

Rich

Rich,

If you have the guys rank name and regiment I have all the relevant arny lists so I may be able to give you the answer.

Paul

Thanks Paul!!

His details are as follows

2nd Lieut., Fenwick, N.A.F., 2nd Bn., Transvaal, EC Roll: 179/109, SA 1902

(Not sure exactly what EC Roll is!!)

He was with the Lancashire Fusiliers, that is all the infomation I have!!

Thanks for any help , really appreciated. The reason for me researching is that I have just acquired a MLE Rifle butt stock with the Lancs Fus "badge" carved into it and the initials N.A Fenwick. I am pretty sure it is this officer. It was sold as a WW1 stock on ebay but I suspect it is from the Boer war.

Cheers

Rich

Rich 1914 Army list War Services-Retired List (finished with the ASC Southern command 1909). Served in the S. African War 1902-took part in in the Transvaal and Orange River Colony, May 02. Queen's medal with 2 clasps (so you need an OFS clasp).

Basically turned up and went home after a few weeks.

All the best,

Paul

Thanks Paul, really appreciated!

Hopefully he carved this stock in SA!.

RIch

Rich 1914 Army list War Services-Retired List (finished with the ASC Southern command 1909). Served in the S. African War 1902-took part in in the Transvaal and Orange River Colony, May 02. Queen's medal with 2 clasps (so you need an OFS clasp).

Basically turned up and went home after a few weeks.

All the best,

Paul

Probably he needs a "South Africa 1902" clasp as well. The Medal roll should give the exact entitlement, but be careful, as often there was a supplemental roll for the date clasps and late entitlements.

I read this as his being entitled to Transvaal and S.A. 1902. Since the date clasps were often issued separately it might not have been on his medal.

Probably he needs a "South Africa 1902" clasp as well. The Medal roll should give the exact entitlement, but be careful, as often there was a supplemental roll for the date clasps and late entitlements.

I read this as his being entitled to Transvaal and S.A. 1902. Since the date clasps were often issued separately it might not have been on his medal.

1914 Army list only mention Trans. and OFS and states Queen's medal with 2 clasps, obviously the medal roll could confrm this or whether there is a different entitlement.

Paul