News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1939 EK2 maker '23'

Hey you EK2 guys!!

I have here what I believe are 2 '23' EK2's (well one is clearly marked as such). I have looked long and hard at the 2 and believe both are the same maker, even though there is a distinct difference in height in the '1813' and the core and frosting have very different finishes.

Would you agree both are from the same maker??

Rich

Edited by Richard Gordon

Indeed very much similarities!

I guess this is plausible.

I am happy you showed this 23 and mentioned the extreme low 1813 date.

I own an unmarked cross with the same characteristics as you mentioned, so I think I can safely declare this a 23?

Pics are given more contrast and brightness, due to a lack of light today...

Regards,

Martin

MM-23-0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't there a theory those smaller suspension rings where on crosses meant for Spangen?

I am still a bit puzzeled by the why of the two types 23.

So every now and then I hop by to see if some new info has been found. :rolleyes:

I still haven't found any...

Regards,

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Richard;

As many Ek collectors are aware; makers 23, 24, and 25 were actually a guild of independent colocated artisans associated under one administrative collective. All three makers had varying cores; particularly 25; which in particular had both a very dark Matt finished core (akin to Bill Garvy's 23) and a smoother core. I have two 24s of varying core texture, both in nice condition; and in reviewing this forum as well as WAF have seen both regularly displayed among quality collections.

I would just like to add the 23 Eks displayed here are fanstastic..nice going!

-Kevin