News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Photo of a Lancer from Secunderabad, 1905

Brian Wolfe

Hello Everone.

When I was a kid there was a televison show "Tales of the 77th Bengal Lancers" which ran from 1956 to 57. The Bengal Lancers were a real unit but I believe the 77th was made up for the story. I was absolutely enthralled by these made-for T.V. adventures and that childhood amazement and admiration for the Indian Lancers has never left me.

While I was skulking through a used book store a few months ago I came upon a book entitled "Princely India", this is a book of the photographs by Raja Lala Deen Dayal, the Court photographer (1884 - 1910) of the sixth Nizam of Hyderabad, published by Hamish Hamilton of London. This book is filled with images of the Royal Families as well as other related subjects. The photo that drew my attention was of the lancer show here. I was particularly interested in his equipment, something usually neglected in photos.

I hope you like the photo and the unknown gentleman. It is a shame that the only thing mentioned about him is the caption "Native lancer and equipment, Secunderabad, 1905.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Here is another shot of Lancers from the same regiment. I would guess theses lancers are in parade uniform. The photo in the book is titled "Native lancers, Secunderabad, 1905".

I had to leave some people out of the posted photo due to the size of the original so I chose to leave out the English "natives". :rolleyes:

Cheers :cheers:

Brian