News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all. I've recently become interested in china and have acquired some nice pieces. I have one piece that has the maker mark under the glaze and the national eagle on top. Somebody told me these were reproductions, that they were always marked under the glaze along with the other marks. I remember reading somewhere that the German china manufacturers also made china for export and did not place the Nazi marks on all of their pieces prior to glazing and firing. Some of these that ended up used by the Nazis were marked later. Does anyone know what the story is on this?

Mike

china is great

but as values went up

reproductions abound

1st thing to check and learn

is to recognize transfers & decals

2nd is to learn what reproductions

are and have been on the market

since it is a banned symbol on ebay

you won't be able to check there

but ebay is a good source to learn

about what is being faked and forged

or "upgraded"

a friend came back from a trip overseas

having found complete sets of period china

still in the box - but the boxes were new

he brought me back a tea set

said it cost less than $20

• 3 weeks later...

All the pieces i have, a mix of all four services, have their markings on the underside under the glaze. These pieces are all either ground finds or come from house clearances locally.

There is one exception and thats on 5 coffee mugs dug up last year from the Norwegian manufacturer Porsgrunn where the eagle on the front of the mug is above the glaze.

I have seen a lot of this stuff in Norway. The germans left huge quantitys of china, when they left. I have never really collected german china, but over the years I have managed to find quite a few pieces. Allmost all of my china, is the most ordinary stuff, and have cost me allmost nothing, and all of it comes from Norway, no internet buys. A lot of the china manufactured at the norwegian firm, Porsgrunn, has the eagle on top of the glacing. If the germans took over allready manufactured china, and then applied the eagles, I really don't know. There are allso some pieces of german manufactured china, that has a Luftwaffe emblem, over the glacing. This china belonged to a training unit, that was stationed in Norway. To get to the point, I have no doubt about the originality of my china, and I don't like when fakers, makes it more difficult, for us collectors.

All the best

Snoopy

The pieces below, are from the Porsgrunn factory, and has the eagles on top of the glacing.

Edited by Snoopy

If the germans took over allready manufactured china, and then applied the eagles, I really don't know

Porsgrunn sold to the Germans, it would seem most likely that the German marks were factory applied. It would have been a real waste of cargo space to have Norwegian china shipped to a German factory to have some decals applied and then shipped back.

Porsgrunn sold to the Germans, it would seem most likely that the German marks were factory applied. It would have been a real waste of cargo space to have Norwegian china shipped to a German factory to have some decals applied and then shipped back.

Hello Simon

I am sorry if my english is not very good. :blush: I did not mean, that they sent the china back to Germany. I meant, that when the germans came to Norway, they might have bought an allready existing stock of china, and that the eagles was then applied at the factory. Somewhere I have a prewar, norwegian army plate. I seem to remember that the emblem on this one, was allso applied over the glacing. I can't remember where I put it. If this is the case, It might just be the way the Porsgrunn factory, produced their china.

All the best

Snoopy

Edited by Snoopy

Hello Simon

I am sorry if my english is not very good. :blush: I did not mean, that they sent the china back to Germany. I ment, that when the germans came to Norway, they might have bought an allready existing stock of china, and that the eagles was then applied at the factory. Somewhere I have a prewar, norwegian army plate. I seem to remember that the emblem on this one, was allso applied over the glacing. I can't remember where I put it. If this is the case, It might just be the way the Porsgrunn factory, produced their china.

All the best

Snoopy

Hello!

Snoopy

I agree Your Comment.

All the best

Nesredep