News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mauser C96 with Austrian Military proofs

Douglas Jr.

Hello forum mates,

Let me take some of your time to present you one of my dearest items: a Commercial Wartime Mauser C96, issued to the Austrian Army during the World War I, where it made its way through a military aviation unit.

IPB Image

Edited by Douglas Jr.

The Wartime Commercial Mauser Broom(termed 1896/12) was manufactured by Waffenfabrik Mauser at Oberndorf from 1915-1918 for the German Army. These bear a NS (Neue Sichrung, New Safety) on the back of the hammer, a 1000 meter tangent rear sight. These are found in the 280000 to 430000 serial range. A NS safety was added in November 1915, at serial number 280000, which marks the start of the Wartime Commercial serial range. Interspersed in this serial range are pistols that bear a C/scriptic letter German Army acceptance stamp.

IPB Image

Almost all these pistols (with or without the Army acceptance stamp) were intended for Army service or for officer self purchase. In August 1917 the Prussian Army Arsenal offered the Wartime Commercial Mauser Broom for sale to officers.

A few of these Wartime Commercial pistols, mostly in the 360000 to 430000 serial range, bear Austrian military acceptance stamps in the form of a W-n Austrian Eagle and a date.

Mine is a serial number 405026 (with matching stock), which was issued to the Austrian Army during the WWI (1917), bearing the inspector mark on the right side of the chamber (W-n Eagle/17). The gun also has the unit?s mark in its grip, LFA527, which mean Luftfahrt Abteilung (Air Corp Batalion) #527.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

After the war this gun was probably kept in an Arsenal until the Austrian ocupation by the Germans in 1938, when it was reworked to chamber the 9mm Luger (as happened with most of the Steyr Hahn 1912 pistols), and served again during the WWII, probably with a second line unit. This statement is made because this particular gun was bought directly from the American GI who owned it as a bring back souvenir from the last war.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Well folks, that?s it. Hope you enjoy this short presentation. Feel free to make any further comments or questions.

Thanks for looking.

Douglas. :rolleyes:

IPB Image