News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here is a question that is bugging the hell out of me?.

How would you guys display this tunic??

I have a superb officers jacket in the M10 style already, set up as an officer (steel helmet, single claw belt, Lugar holster, map case and gasmask, which I think is realistic) It is a piece where I have (thanks to some library time by Dave Danner) got a section of the regt history that mentions an action of my man in some detail.

Now I have the jewel of my tiny jacket collection. It is the one in the thread about the 88 inf regt.

How best to display this? Obviously, as I have an officer I would like an OR one as well? but as I always consider my collection as a monument to the men that served I cannot use the jacket to make a simple infantryman if I know about the man who owned it and know he was not.

So, I shall set it up according to what I know about him. He was killed in August 1915, had been on the Eastern front as a Lt d.Res since the beginning of the year.

I assume this jacket was not with him and was safe in a cupboard at home.

One possibility would be to do it like the photo of him?. EK2 ribbon, belt? and a binocular case and pistol. Of course the chance of finding just the right shoulder boards, with a 258 are close to zero, so I would need a pair without numbers.

Alternately, I am guessing he had this jacket when he was kiting out for the war, at the time he was a Vizefeldwebel d.R. This would give me a better chance of doing an Other Rank of sorts?.

What I cannot put on is a Gasmask, Steel helmet or anything that came after his death.

If I did him as a Vize-Feldwebel, what do you think would be the best getup for him to have?

I want to do this ?Right?.

So far we know he definitely had the EK2, would have been entitled to the Wound badge and may have had the EK1 (but without the docs this cannot be confirmed)

I want to put a Picklehaube on his blue pre war uniform and think I will go for a soft peaked cap on this one (we know from the photos that he had one of those).

On the other hand, I don?t want to do any sewing or messing about with the tunic?

I guess some officers boards should be the limit. He seems to have died before the award of his Wound badge so it would not be right to put that on.

I guess I have answered the question myself?get a pair of shoulder boards, add belt, holster, binocular case?. Maybe a knife? and that should do it.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

the colour of the underlay of officers-shoulderboards of war-raised units is a kind of a problem...

In 1914/15 it should have been the Armeekorps colour.

Do you have the two volumes from Kraus "Die feldgraue Uniformierung..."

I do have them at home, so I can't look right now if he has some info about this.

By the way - you lucky guy have a sled-mount !

Would you tell me the maker and the year of production of your MG08 ?

Does the sled has any markings ?

Regards

Torsten

Chris,

The belt will depend on whether you intend to depict the uniform as it would have appeared in the field or as a walking out dress. The officer's Feldkoppel did not come out until September of 1915, so he should have worn either a brocade belt with bright buckle (ordered covered with gray cloth in August of 1914) or a plain leather roller buckle belt.

You can forget the Vizefeldwebel get up, unless you intend to add the collar and cuff NCO Tresse.

Sounds like you answer to your own questions is the best path to take.

Chip