News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Prussian Officer (?) with a killer moustache

Hello Everyone,

I have just picked up this cabinet photo of a soldier I believe to be Prussian wearing the 1897 Prussian Wilhelm I Centenary Medal. Can anyone identify his rank or unit? I would think the moustache would have been a lethal weapon on a frosty day! ;) Ow! My eye!

The Centenary Medal is mounted on the trapazoidal mount and I would like to add one of these bar to the medal I have in the collection and display the photo and medal together. Would anyone know where I might obtain the mount? I have some good quality medal ribbon of the correct type so just the metal mount would be great. I know of no suppliers here in Canada.

Thanks again in advance for any help with the identification and information, it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Guest Rick Research

Some sort of NCO, but too small for me to see anything. Acorn or artillery shell on the marksmanship cord will be a clue.

Here is a close up of the soldier. The buttons are polished but with no decoration. What looks like a decoration is in fact a reflection of the inside of the studio where the photo was taken. Under greater magnification you can almost make out the architectural features behind the photographer. Man I would like to have one of those computers you see in police detective movies for a super close up! The device on the end of the lanyard looks like an artillery shell with two bands around it.

Another thing that drew me to this photo was the photographer's name "Wolffe". The legend in our family is that our name was once spelled with a double "F" and for whatever reason one "F" was dropped over time to become "Wolfe". From the address of Posen, I would take it to be in Prussia, well, until the end of 1918 when it became part of Poland. My family is said to have originated in Prussia.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Guest Rick Research

Vth Army Corps.

No long service brooch down on his left side, so I'd say he's an Unteroffizier. No buttons at Frankenstein position on his collar?

• 7 years later...

Hi Rick,

I never got around to mounting the medal, a shame but I just haven't had the time.  Believe it or not some areas of the collection haven't been visited for a couple of years.

Hi Andy,

Great photo and even greater moustache.

Regards

Brian