News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Hi Guys,

Came across this whilst surfing Ebay, thought it might be of interest, and topic of conversation for the fourm.

SOLID GOLD WW1 I SERVED MEDAL ROYAL WELSH FUSILIERS Item number: 220230428395

HEAVY 17.5 GRAMS

9ct SOLID GOLD

WORLD WAR 1

I - SERVED MEDAL

ROYAL WELSH FUSILIERS

- ENGRAVED WITH -

PTE L DOWNES - ROYAL WELSH FUSILIERS

Complete with The ORIGINAL box,

T Armstrong, Jewellers, Manchester

Gordon.

Awarded by an English city / town to its ex-servicemen, who could have been in Welsh, Scottish, Irish, English regiments? Also, the Welsh seem to have been the least "appreciated" junior partner in the Union, basically swallowed by England, unrepresented on the Union Flag, maybe St Davids Saltire & the red dragon were'nt as significant as they are today.

But in solid gold? There's nothing to indicate that the medals are for particularly notable service, or "for being killed", so perhaps gilt silver for economy?

There's presumably something more than simply giving a medal to every man from the community who served, perhaps given by an important patron (Lord Derby & the like) who sponsored a particular recruiting drive or battalion or similar?

• 4 weeks later...