News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I believe this is tombak with nickel-silver plating. A horizontal pin assembly was put on; in fact, it appears that the usual vertical setup was never there, or else it was expertly removed. I'd love to have your thoughts on this one.

Regards,

Kevin

Hi Kev..

The lack of file marks (typical for Assmann) suggests that the repair was indeed carried out by a professional (jeweller) who has removed the original hardware/solder and has polished the surface before attaching the new system.

Thanks, John. One thing I was also wondering is why this was done. If it was a repair, why not reconstruct the usual vertical pin orientation? Somebody went to a lot of trouble to redo the whole setup. Was it a special request? If so, why? If the badge was to be pinned onto a garment, instead of using the usual vertically aligned loops, this would make sense. Might a flyer prefer to pin the medal more securely onto his fliegerbluse rather than have it flop around on the loops?

Regards,

Kevin

Edited by norwest78

I think it comes down to when the repair was done....If period, perhaps the widow of the recipient thought wearing her husband?s badge, in the form of a brooch, would be comforting?

I'm afraid it?s one of those where the answers are lost in the mists of time.

Just one last thought: I strongly suspect that this was period done, since it seems very unlikely that somebody would want to turn this into a brooch for wearing post-war.

However, maybe the history was also another.

His carried piece has been stolen at the end of the war the bearer by a souvenir hunter and to lives his piece which still lay during the war was damaged. So he has brought after the war his still left-over piece simply to a jeweller and now has hung it on a showcase or on his uniform brought from the war again.

Actually, it should only point that there is probably many possibilities like your needle came about. What would still interest me whether the rivets were a piece with your Assmann so or they have also been repaired? Always thought one sees only one round deepening by the bolt?

Guest WAR LORD

There is another possibility. The pin, hinge and hook are a standard set up. A repairer would be able to purchase of the peg. The problem is that the assembly is too short to be used vertically so it was applied vertically. You can see at the top left marks that are conjusive to cleaning back the metal. The wreath then is silver dipped, this gives a darker colour round the hing and hook.

Thanks for your comments, guys. I'll never know for sure the story behind this badge, but it's a beauty, regardless. The tombak Assman observers are tops in my book.

Regards,

Kevin