News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

6 Chinese medals to be identified...

Elmar Lang

I'll need to exchavate my copy of the appropriate part of Morton & Eden's sale of the ANS collection. To date, this is the best source of pre-Revolutionary Chinese medals. In the interim, you may want to check out the OMSA database, where many of the M&E images are posted (along with others, some of which have ID issues).

• 3 weeks later...

on the other side:

Hi Enzo!

What an amazing collection. With one exception, these are all Merit Medals awarded by the most powerful warlord of the Republican period, Wu Peifu. The first medal is a Wu Peifu Merit Medal (55x51mm), The second is a Wu Peifu Marksmanship Medal 40 x 47mm), The third I have not as yet identified (it is old), the fourth is a Wu Peifu Merit Medal 38x52mm), and the sixth one is also a Wu Peifu Merit Medal. Wu was a major warlord during this time and many scholars believe he was backed by U.S. and British interests. He fought the Nationalists as well as the Communists and was offered the puppet rule as monarch in North China by the Japanese government.

He was born in Shandong Province in Eastern China in 1874 and died in 1939. These medals were issued prolifically to his followers during the period 1916 through 1927. A good description of the warlord activity during the period can be found in Edward A. McCord's book "The Power of the Gun"

Dick LaTondre

Dear Richard,

thank you very much for your invaluable help.

Now I'll be able to better describe those curious medals!

I hope too, to see the book about warlord decorations be published soon...

Best wishes,

Enzo

I'll need to exchavate my copy of the appropriate part of Morton & Eden's sale of the ANS collection. To date, this is the best source of pre-Revolutionary Chinese medals. In the interim, you may want to check out the OMSA database, where many of the M&E images are posted (along with others, some of which have ID issues).

Perhaps you could share the images on the OMSA database that have ID issues.

I would be happy to examine them.

Richard

• 2 months later...

Richard, Hope you get the warlord book moving soon. I saw your latest at OMSA, and if you put the same level of attention into warlords, we'll have a very valuable resource.

Best,

Hugh

Richard, Hope you get the warlord book moving soon. I saw your latest at OMSA, and if you put the same level of attention into warlords, we'll have a very valuable resource.

Best,

Hugh

Thank you for your kind words Hugh. I hope to finish it this year. It should contain the Imperial Issues, The Republic Issues, The War Lord Issues, and some of the Nationalist Kuomintang Issues. Of concern to me at this time. is that a member of the Gentleman's Military Interest Club is publishing some of my photos.

Richard

Please put me on your list for a copy. Hope you get the copyright issue worked out.

Hugh

Roger that! As I mentioned to Hugh, there is a gentleman from the Chinese mainland, that is publishing some of my photos that are in the forthcoming book and I would like to inform him, that it is illegal. But based on his location . . . . .?