News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet (?) awards to British, 2008

May 10, 2008, 4:30

Russia awards British WW2 veterans

British veteran members of the Arctic convoys which delivered vital supplies to the northern ports of the Soviet Union during the World War Two, met with their Russian counterparts in London to celebrate Victory Day and receive honours from the Russian state.

British veterans were awarded Russian Arctic Medals honouring their deeds and commemorating the Britain-Russia alliance in 1941-1945.

The ceremony took place on HMS Belfast, London?s Floating Naval Museum, which is a living memory from those cold Arctic days.

Back in 1942 it was the largest and possibly the most powerful cruiser in the Royal Navy, responsible for providing heavy close-range cover for the Arctic convoy.

In total 78 of them made their perilous way to and from North Russia carrying four million tonnes of supplies - food, tanks and aircraft to be used by Soviet allies in the fight against Nazis on the Eastern Front.

http://www.russiatoday.ru/features/news/24552

What is a "Russian Arctic Medal" in 2008?

I think they are still awarded the Medal for the 40th year Anniversary of Victory. Issued by the USSR to mark the 40th anniversary of the end of world war two. This medal has become known as the 'Russian convoy medal' not really Artic Medal as stated, the Soviet government offerred it to all who had taken part in the convoys to Russia during world war two.

The Queen gave her permission for this award to be worn with official awards in the manner laid down for wearing foreign campaign medals.

There was talk about the Defence of the Soviet Arctic Region Medal being awarded to British veterans.

Also miniatures and full size 40th Ani Medals are made in England.

Regards Eddie

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: That is very VERY weird:

Aside from running contrary to "normal" (in quotes :rolleyes: ) British practice concerning "duplication" (i.e. not allowing foreign awards for Malaya and the Gulf War)...

I would REALLY like to see an award document for a 1985 Medal issued by a country which no longer exists... dated 2008 !!!! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

I cannot help but wonder whether this is something new, in the general spirit of rediscovered national pride?

Blanket royal assent has been extended to accept and wear the Soviet/Russian jubilee medals, however. The "duplication" rule is very tattered. There was, I guess, some hope that this would silence all the incessant whining about the need for a very retrospective "Arctic Star"; it didn't.

Guest Rick Research

HM overnment (being as odd and arbitrary as our own) would toss hissies over something along the lines of the time-honoured :beer: Russian veterans organization awards, but it would seem FAR more apt to have some sort of badge of THAT sort than... recycling left over stocks of :speechless1: medals.

This "Twice Red Banner Northern Fleet Veteran" badge, for example of the sort of fraternal award that I mean:

Something CURRENT and mutually appropriate. (BTW, no mention at all of the AMERICAN and OTHER nations' "Murmansk" veterans.... )

I cannot help but wonder whether this is something new, in the general spirit of rediscovered national pride?

Blanket royal assent has been extended to accept and wear the Soviet/Russian jubilee medals, however. The "duplication" rule is very tattered. There was, I guess, some hope that this would silence all the incessant whining about the need for a very retrospective "Arctic Star"; it didn't.

The Arctic Medal turned out as an Arctic Badge in the the end ;)

They campaigned for a medal rather than an emblem to be awarded but a decision was made in 1946 not to create any more medals for WWII campaigns.

The 40th year Anniversary of Victory Medals awarded in the 80's were only allowed to be worn officialy at MOD celebrations after 1994, when the Queen recognised the need for closer relations after the Cold War.