News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bored Landsturm on sentry duty

lazyschnauzer

This is WIP on a one figure vignette, a German Landsturm sentry in a 'Live and Let Live' part of the Western Front during WWI. There is a small viewing port in an armored plate which has been built into the trench (often done by both sides). The sentry is leaning against the trench with one hand on the side of his chin, his elbow on the top of the support post, holding a pipe in his other hand. He'll be in a double-breasted (dark blue?) Joppe coat with grey or blue trousers with stripe down the side and boots. As you can see, I've almost finished the head and unique Landsturm hat with oilcloth cover. I would have said finished, except upon taking the photos I noticed a small chunk out of the side of the hat! He'll have two old large leather ammo holders (Anybody know what year those would be?) and he'll be armed with an 1888 Mauser rifle, which I've just started, but not photographed.

Haven't decided yet whether to convert this to one of the Old Contemptible figures or not.

Comments and critique welcome!

All the best,

Dan

Edited by lazyschnauzer

"Village people leather man hats?"

Hi Chris - LOLOLOL! Pretty unique hat, isn't it? The M1914 oilcloth, felt and leather visor cap was worn until enough Stahlhelm were available for third class units - my guess would be 1917. But it's just a guess. To the best of my knowledge, they never wore pickelhaube type helmets. Some units wore Jager style leather and cloth helmets instead of the visor cap.

All the best,

Dan

Guest IMHF

This one is going to look awesome when it is finish....

Thank you:

Can't wait to see the finish product :cheers:

Lorenzo

I'm eager to see the finish also, Lorenzo! :D

I conned one of my brother-in-laws into sending me photos for reference on the way the hand will look cupping the chin, with beard around the fingers. He has a very full beard. Just received the photos and this weekend I'll see what I can do with that. I haven't been at this very long, but I know that little things can often make the figure look more realistic.

The hat is not quite right either. I'm in the process of correcting it. I've sanded the sides to make it more conical and will add some very thin slices of putty on top and the sides. Since I took these photos, I've completely re-done the trousers - which were much too bulky. And I'm working on two pairs of hob-nailed boots. This is all in 1/16th scale and I think it will be released as a commercial kit by The Old Contemptibles. My business partner (caster, retailer, advertising manager, alchemist and resident problem solver extraordinaire), John McNenney is busy casting our second release, a Seaforth Highlander cobbler.

I have to correct one thing I said above. Although Landsturm were assigned to both the Western and Eastern fronts, they were used mostly for guard and light duties behind the lines on the Western front. On the Eastern front, they did most of the normal jobs soldiers do. So probably showing a Landsturm on sentry duty would be more accurate for the Eastern front. Attached are some reference photos of Great War Landsturm. They wore a bewildering variety of clothing and were issued mostly obsolete equipment until 1916.

All the best,

Dan

Edited by lazyschnauzer

• 1 month later...
    Guest IMHF

Can't wait to see when it is finish is he going to have a battle buddy or is he going to be by him self?

Thank you

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

Thanks for your comment, Lorenzo. No "battle buddy", although the observation point is perhaps large enough to accomodate one.

Everything is almost finished. I'm making an M1888 Mauser rifle, the bayonet fitting, a grenade and the hand on the alternate head. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that this kit will come with two heads. I'm not quite ready to show you the other head. He's semi-modelled on a character in the 1930s All Quiet on the Western Front, "Kat" played by the character actor, Louis Wollheim. Not a great likeness but an interesting-looking head anyway. This head is wearing the M1860 shako or tschako (depending on how you spell it).

All the best,

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Are you going to add the circle around the Cross on the Sentry's head gear, like in the photo? How much longer until it is complete?

Lorenzo

Thanks for asking Lorenzo. Yes, I added the circle. Eventually this one will be a model kit released by The Old Contemptibles. You will be able to buy it on the Military Miniatures Warehouse web site.

Right now I only have one kit completed, Tommy of 1915. Roger Newsome is painting the box art for the second one. This will be a re-creation of a cobbler fixing boots in 1915. I really like the idea of showing soldiers doing things behind the lines. 95% of the time they ate, slept, drilled, trained, fixed equipment, went on work details, etc. You'll be able to complete the cobbler in two versions - a Seaforth Highlander with the unique Seaforth tartan (Mackenzie?) kilt or a Black Watch with 'Government' black and green kilt. Two heads, of course - each with regimental badge and a different cap. It contains a kit of six or seven cobbler's tools also. I had great fun making it!

The Bored Landsturm will follow the cobbler. In it I've added a trench club (wood with metal studs), a leather cosh (sap or blackjack), one of the wicked-looking 1871 Pionierenfaschinenmesser bayonets with saw teeth on one side and a blade on the other, a potato masher type grenade, and a couple of apples (one with a worm coming out of it!). I'm just finishing the last piece, an 1888 Mauser rifle. I'll post the whole vignette when the rifle is completed.

All the best,

Dan

I narrowly missed getting an 1871 Pionierenfaschinenmesser bayonets a few years ago, but managed to get a "basic" 1871 Pattern without saw teeth (I've got an 1871 Mauser single shot bolt action, which has no bayonet fitting).

Is the other head going to be with the oilskin cap?

To answer Lorenzo's question (which I now realize I never did - duh!), this is a one figure vignette and hopefully model kit. But it includes alternate heads (the uniforms would be the same, except for painting details), a potato masher grenade, a leather cosh or sap (billy club), a wooden trench club with metal studs, and various other extras.

The Landsturm is scheduled to be painted by my German figure sculptor and painter friend, Ulrich Biroth.

I didn't complete the rifle over the weekend as I thought I might. A couple of problems with the finish of the putty on the gun are bothering me. Stay tuned.

All the best,

Dan

Edited by lazyschnauzer