News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Trying to restore a helmet

Hello

Being a guy with not a lot of money to spend on collecting, and desperately wanting another german helmet. I bought a helmet for about 10 euros, a while back. The helmet was an M-40, That was painted in a thick layer of postwar applied black paint, with spots of rust, truly ugly. The helmet had the original metal liner ring, but postwar rivets, leather liner and chinstrap. I put the helmet on a shelf, but after a few months, that ugly paint started to irritate me. I had a good look at the helmet, and then I detected traces of a damaged decal under the paint. I rolled up my sleeves, and found a can of paint stripper, and set to work. I must admit that I was a bit intimidated, because I had never done this before. I took only about a square inch at a time, so that I could control the paint stripping properly. After a while, I uncovered a damaged, and toned Heer decal, it looks allmost like a KM eagle, but it's the clear lacker that has yellowed. The helmet allso has it's original paint finish, and I managed to preserve most of the camouflage finish. It looks like light green paint has been brushed on in segments. I know that helmet collectors probably won't like what I am doing, but everyting is better than the state it was in before i started, I hope. :blush: The pictures below, shows it's present state. I still have a little work left, but luckily, the interior was left in it's original colour. I know it's not the perfect helmet, but I hope you like it.

All the best

Snoopy

For a 10 euro investment, it's looking really good to me!

I'm not a helmet guy, but I don't have any problem with what you are doing...

It's a sympathetic restoration, nothing wrong with that.

Regards - Danny

For a 10 euro investment, it's looking really good to me!

I'm not a helmet guy, but I don't have any problem with what you are doing...

It's a sympathetic restoration, nothing wrong with that.

Regards - Danny

Thank you very much, for the kind words. I really appreciate it. :jumping:

All the best

Snoopy

Hi Snoopy,

I like it very much. I don't think there is anything wrong with restoration if done carefully.

You've done this artifact a service.

Well done!

Cheers :beer:

Brian

Hello Brian

Thank you very much. :beer: In the past, I have passed on a lot of german helmets, that have been repainted. Now I wonder, what was hiding beneath the paint on those helmets. It's a lot of work, but I think it's worth it. My helmet has been a difficult one, because I am trying to preserve as much as possible of the camouflage. The camouflage is painted with something that resembles white wash, winther paint, so I have to be extra careful, not to remove this paint layer. It won't probably be perfect, but I like it. I allso like to think, that I am bringing the helmet closer to it's original condition.

All the best

Snoopy