News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What you did not know...

A very interesting bit of info on a mailing list today.... I did not know that the chinese were involved in the production of VCs!!!

You learn something every day....

Hi Chris, I believe the only involvement the Chinese had/have in the VC manufacture is that some of the captured Russian guns were Chinese made.

I read this somewhere and it's been stated in another reply :rolleyes:

Geoff

To quote from the "Medals" mailing list, which I like to read but have little to offer...

BUT... to quote from the Royal Artillery Museum ...

"The Victoria Cross Guns (in the R.A. Museum) have supplied the bronze gunmetal from which over 800 of the Victoria Cross medals have been made. The first VCs are said to have been made from Russian guns captured at Sebastopol during the Crimean War. These guns, however, are Chinese, and were almost certainly captured during the Second Anglo-Chinese War of 1860 and were used to supply the metal to Hancock's Jewellers, manufacturers of the VC medal since c.1914."

AND... to quote from Hancock's website...

"The bronze from which all Victoria Crosses are made is supplied from the Central Ordnance Depot, Donnington and all the Crosses made throughout this century have been made from the same source of metal. This was taken from captured enemy cannon. When more Crosses are required Hancocks request a supply of metal and this is then delivered to them by COD Donnington.In fact, the metal is of Chinese origin and not Russian as if often stated".

So.......it looks as if even VCs are "made in China"............

To quote from the "Medals" mailing list, which I like to read but have little to offer...

BUT... to quote from the Royal Artillery Museum ...

"The Victoria Cross Guns (in the R.A. Museum) have supplied the bronze gunmetal from which over 800 of the Victoria Cross medals have been made. The first VCs are said to have been made from Russian guns captured at Sebastopol during the Crimean War. These guns, however, are Chinese, and were almost certainly captured during the Second Anglo-Chinese War of 1860 and were used to supply the metal to Hancock's Jewellers, manufacturers of the VC medal since c.1914."

AND... to quote from Hancock's website...

"The bronze from which all Victoria Crosses are made is supplied from the Central Ordnance Depot, Donnington and all the Crosses made throughout this century have been made from the same source of metal. This was taken from captured enemy cannon. When more Crosses are required Hancocks request a supply of metal and this is then delivered to them by COD Donnington.In fact, the metal is of Chinese origin and not Russian as if often stated".

So.......it looks as if even VCs are "made in China"............

Quite appropriate in one way.

The direct translation of the Chinese term for people from the U.K. are "brave country people".

I gather that Americans are "beautiful country people". Don't remember France or Russia.

Hallo Chris, :beer:

Is not the Thread title a little misleading??

The V.C. itself was not made in China, by the Chinese,

but, scrap metal from Chinese made cannon, captured from the Russians,

was melted down and cast as the Victoria Cross in the United Kingdom.

At best the Chinese were responsible for supplying the raw material in a round about way.

China, Russia, United Kingdom, all had a hand in the raw material on its journey from its source.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Hi Kev.

According to the article, it is NOT chinese Bronze from Russian canons, in fact the canons used nowdays seem to have nothing to do with Russia at all. Pure 100% Chinese.

But you are right in a way.... nowdays the Chinese strip the rest of the world of raw materials and make everything back in china... here we have a case of the chinese producing the raw materials and Great Britain making the final product...

If only that could be mirrored in all manufacturing industries ;-)

Well, with all the mineral resources China is buying from Australia (and wrecking our economy) soon VCs will be made with Aussie tin and copper !!!!!!!!!!! We might have to wait a few hundred years though .....

Well, with all the mineral resources China is buying from Australia (and wrecking our economy) soon VCs will be made with Aussie tin and copper !!!!!!!!!!! We might have to wait a few hundred years though .....

Greg, :beer:

I doubt the Chinese will ever be making V.C.'s for either British, Australian, or New Zealand versions in the future.

They never made them in the past,

the reference to China comes from the source of the cannon originally captured and used to make the British Victoria Crosses.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Why would anyone think that the Chinese make Victoria Crosses ? I mean, they probably do make some fake ones but not the real thing !!!

It seems to me that a couple of people here have been joking with their comments and others have taken them seriously ! I certainly was !!!

Greg.

Err. . . . you are not suggesting China is getting the minerals for free. . . . . :rolleyes:

Kevin in Deva :P