News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Marne Commemorative Medal

Thought I would share this as the Verdun Commemorative Medal thread last year seemed pretty popular.

I have been waiting to finally get one in such pristine condition. I really like the reverse design, incredible detail. :love:

Enjoy,

Tim

Front:

Thanks guys!

Yes, ebay has them once in awhile, but you have to be careful who you are dealing with. There is another one on ebay right now from a seller in France. IMO, a real *X&$wad. He listed a mint piece with a reserve. I asked him what his reserve was and he comes back--Oh, well I shouldn't tell you, but I think $450.00 is what it's worth!!! :speechless1: I told him that that was way too high (for me anyway) and I have seen three of these with the highest one going for around $160.00 that that one had a lot of bidders and you know ebay, it all comes down to who has to have it and if there are two that just got to have it... :violent:

Anyway, I made a comment to this jerk that I might throw a last minute bid of $200. just to beat any last minute snipes (though I didn't really think it would go that high honestly. He comes back and says, well I don't imagine others will let me have it for that, but... if it doesn't sell, then he would take my offer of $200. with a buy it now offer later. I told him I didn't make any offers that high.

Bidding was not that high, then the old mystery (bidder-ID private) came in and started bidding up the price. Always a red flag for me and I thought he either was bidding it up to or past $200. or had someone shill bidding for him. I jacked it up a bit and quit. Nobody got it. He then offered it to me and I offered $150. He relisted it for $300. and offered it to me for $250.--I laughed and offered $140.00 and told him "you see where I am going with this"? It's still sitting there and he can keep it. Glad I waited, bought one as nice here in the US for a lot less than he wanted; still I could have got it cheaper, but the seller had based his pricing off this French guy's piece. :banger:

I am not sure if he is really French or not, but he must think I was a typical stupid American with no brains and too much cash. I won't be buying anything from him, guarantee that!

Tim

Rick,

The only case, per se, is a lower half of a slip that the medal came in, pictured below.

** Well, for some reason it won't let me upload any PICS right now. Not sure if the site has issues at the moment, but will try to show the PIC a little later.

Tim

Hi Chris!

That would be great, the only reference I am aware of is the "Catalogue general illustre des Editions de la Monnaie de Paris", a multi-volume reference of at least three and possibly as many as six books, somewhat rare or hard to find and not cheap. All text in French as well.

Appreciate it!

Tim

Rick,

Sorry it took so long, for some reason I couldn't add PICS yesterday. Anyway, this is the only shot I took of the slip, it's not marked in any way, but it may have been on the top half. It's a dark bluish-green in color.

Tim