News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Have you got his citation, or just the awards record card?

A Serzhant by age 19... but "not working" when the Awards Record Card was filled out-- suggesting a war invalid to me.

:Cat-Scratch: Have you got his citation, or just the awards record card?

A Serzhant by age 19... but "not working" when the Awards Record Card was filled out-- suggesting a war invalid to me.

No, this is all I have. When I first posted this medal without research, you said that it was likely a long service award. Do you think it was for something else, with this research? If it isn't long service, then I'll send a request for the citation.

I just noticed, he had sequentially numbered red stars. I wish I had the other one.

-Alex

I think the first Red Star is numbered 2711369, while the other is 2718370... Also, it was awarded a month later by a different unit...

Here is a close up of the number from the scan. It's hard to tell. I hope you are wrong, because if not, then I got the wrong research.

Here is a close up of the number from the scan. It's hard to tell. I hope you are wrong, because if not, then I got the wrong research.

For sure the award card doesn't match the orders/medals pictured.

Your photo has 1 Red Banner, 1 Red Star and 1 Medal for Bravery while the award card has 2 Red Star orders and 1 medal for bravery.. and the serial numbers don't match for any of them (except maybe the red star if the award card has a "1", but it seems more like a "8" to me as Ferdinand mentioned.

For sure the award card doesn't match the orders/medals pictured.

Your photo has 1 Red Banner, 1 Red Star and 1 Medal for Bravery while the award card has 2 Red Star orders and 1 medal for bravery.. and the serial numbers don't match for any of them (except maybe the red star if the award card has a "1", but it seems more like a "8" to me as Ferdinand mentioned.

No, no. I know the other medals don't match. That was just the only picture of the back of the Red Star I had, so that's what I used. Sorry for the confusion.

So now two people think it's an "8" and not a "1." This isn't good. Are there any other opinions about this number?

Somehow I sense that this entire research thing is going to be a disaster. I ordered research for the wrong red banner, got results for the an order of the red star that did not belong to the Trofimov group (but was included with it at purchase) when I asked for his award card, and still have not got anything for the Didusenko group even though results for it have arrived. Now this may be the award card for the wrong medal banger.gifbanger.gifbanger.gif

-Alex

No, no. I know the other medals don't match. That was just the only picture of the back of the Red Star I had, so that's what I used. Sorry for the confusion.

So now two people think it's an "8" and not a "1." This isn't good. Are there any other opinions about this number?

Somehow I sense that this entire research thing is going to be a disaster. I ordered research for the wrong red banner, got results for the an order of the red star that did not belong to the Trofimov group (but was included with it at purchase) when I asked for his award card, and still have not got anything for the Didusenko group even though results for it have arrived. Now this may be the award card for the wrong medal banger.gifbanger.gifbanger.gif

-Alex

Alex, wait for other people to put their comments before starting to panic. It is not obvious what number it is. I just agreed with Ferdinand that in my opinion it seems to be a "8". It seems the document got a bit wet and the ink leaked..

If at the end it is determined that the award card is not the one for that order, maybe then you can get your researcher to research the good number for free or get reimbursed since it doesn't appear to be your error (assuming you provided him the right serial number).

And thanks for the clarification about the orders/medals showing on the first photo.

Guest Rick Research

I can't tell what the scribble is either. Those are ALL 1947 numbers, despite the decree dates for the awards-- again suggesting he was a war invalid discharged before they were all processed.

I don't klnow how you can get the smeared ink scribble resolved. I do think, however, that he did RECEIVE consecutively numbered Red Stars because they were PROCESSED late. Those are not numbers from the award decree time. So chances are, I would say, that when he finally RECEIVED them, they handed these to him "out of the box" together in 1947. :cheers:

I can't tell what the scribble is either. Those are ALL 1947 numbers, despite the decree dates for the awards-- again suggesting he was a war invalid discharged before they were all processed.

I don't klnow how you can get the smeared ink scribble resolved. I do think, however, that he did RECEIVE consecutively numbered Red Stars because they were PROCESSED late. Those are not numbers from the award decree time. So chances are, I would say, that when he finally RECEIVED them, they handed these to him "out of the box" together in 1947. :cheers:

I think you're right Rick! I got some other opinions and they seem to agree with this as well.

So this medal probably is for something real and not long service then, correct? If that's the case, I'll send it to Nota Bene for the citation.

-Alex

Edited by RedMaestro

I think you're right Rick! I got some other opinions and they seem to agree with this as well.

So this medal probably is for something real and not long service then, correct? If that's the case, I'll send it to Nota Bene for the citation.

-Alex

Yes, I would venture to bet that this Red Star was given to him for wounds recieved in action during the War.

Dave

• 8 months later...

The citation is finally here, and it turns out it wasn't for wounds.

?April 18, 1945 - When he broke through the enemy front llines on the west bank of the Oder river near the village of Grunov (?), he used his grenade to destroy an enemy machine gun that was preventing our forces from advancing. He killed 3 germans and captured 8.?

Guest Rick Research

No, he was wounded-- badly enough to have become disabled from that "not working" Awards Record Card.

The citation showed him as section commander in the "Avtomat" (Sub-machine Gun) Company, 286th Guards Rifles Regiment, 94th Guards Rifles Regiment.

Line 8 shows wounded on 28 March 1944 and... "20.4.45 evacuated to hospital" 2 days after the action for which he was decorated. He was taken away from his unit and never retunred to them, thus the delay in getting the award to him.