News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have grouped three medals together for this (influenced by AVERS No 6.)

Here is a Medal for Saving a life from Drowning together with a Variation 4 Document to Toomas Iohanosovish Viik

Awarded since 1957 for saving a life from drowning or for planning which avoids this along with exemplary organization in life guard service.

Chris

Guest Rick Research

Is there a serial number on back of the Award Booklet that might help with how many were given out? I know, I know, those numbers apparently usually mean absolutely nothing... just HOPING! :D

I'm also wondering if these medals, being important enough, might have been publicized in the local (in this case Estonian) newspapers at the time of bestowal?

Вариант 4. Удостоверение образца 1967 года. Номер удостоверения отсутствует. В тексте удостоверения указывалось, что награждение производится от имени ПВС СССР Указом ПВС одной из союзных или автономных республик. Ниже стояла подпись Секретаря ПВС этой республики. (from MONDVOR SITE)

Rick

These documents normally do have serial numbers but this variant doc did not....I belive it is quite a rare variant and not commonly seen.

These medals were awarded approx 24,000 times.

Chris

I'm also wondering if these medals, being important enough, might have been publicized in the local (in this case Estonian) newspapers at the time of bestowal?.........

Maybe...but I do notice with Estonian medals most are in good condition as they are not worn......I do think that there would have been an article about the man and the medal at the time.

Chris

Award Document to Tragel Maie Elmarovna for the Preservation in Public Order, a medal first issued in 1950.

Approx 47,000 have been a warded to internal troops, serving soldiers and civilian for arresting individuals at great sacrifice or personal danger or the prevention of criminal acts.

Chris

Guest Rick Research

The Preservation of Public Order award booklet is a good example of serial numbering that appears to have NO meaning whatsoever.

Here is my first type, in silver, with the 16 Republics seal. Like the Border Medal, this was authorized (as shown in the Preservation of Public Order booklet above) with the boring plain TEXT as the obverse, rather than the design. :speechless: While the Border Medals are usually found worn "back to front" I've never seen one of THESE in a photo in wear to see what the usual practice was among the few recipients.

[attachmentid=13401][attachmentid=13402]

[attachmentid=13403]

[attachmentid=13404]

I have never had this come up in a police group-- and I collect police and LOOK for police-- nor have I ever seen this one on a ribbon bar.

As far as "common," I'd say that would have to be the Saving Life From Fire, of these--and that is only relatively speaking.