News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German Major decorated in two World Wars

I thought this was an interesting array of awards.

- EK 1 and 2, Hohenzollern Honour Cross with Swords and 1914-18 wound badge in silver or gold. I don't know what the 4th ribbon is, before the 1914-18 Cross - it looks plain, light coloured and has swords attached. I think it's relatively unusual that, with this service, he doesn't have the Austrian, Hungarian or Bulgarian WW1 Commemorative medals.

- EK 1 and 2 1939 Spangen, KVK2 with Swords and infantry assault badge in WW2. What I found unusual here was that he left the armed forces after WW1 (no armed forces long service awards) and between the wars earned a 25-year loyal service award in state service. The final ribbon is unclear - possibly Westwall or Red Cross.

The number on his shoulder strap is 75 - if this is the 75th Infantry Regiment, then he may have earned his Spangen in the campaign against France.

Unfortunately, there is no writing or other helpful information on the back of the picture.

Isn't it unusual that he has the EK Spange on his chest and a buttonhole?

The EK1 Spange is worn on the chest, above the EK1. The EK2 Spange is worn at the buttonhole on the EK2 1914 ribbon. He could have chosen to put an EK2 Spange on the ribbon bar instead of wearing it at the buttonhole, although some recipients wore it on the ribbon bar and at the buttonhole. The EK1 Spange wasn't represented on the ribbon bar.

Guest Rick Research

Yes, but he is a hard-bitten (if overaged) Frontsoldat and probably wore that tunic with NO ribbon bar in combat. He's "all dressed up" for whatever occasion this was, adding the ribbon bar but not removing his buttonhole Spange. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a German Cross hidden on his OTHER pocket. :rolleyes:

This is a 1941/42 photo-- it was not allowed to wear a KVK2X with any WW2 EK before then, and he's wearing it in the short lived and justly despised "proper" precedence of that period before his HOH3X. :speechless:

I can't tell what the other WW1 Order is either-- there is just the hint of some other shade of stripes, so whether it's a W?rttemberg Friedrichs Order (plain pale blue) or a Baden Z?hringen Lion (green and orange) I can't tell. But I THINK its a "BZ3bX"-- IR 75 was garrisoned in Baden, and a Westwall in last place would make sense.

Though as a reservist he wouldn't show up in any Rank List 1939+, I think somebody wearing what he's got at his age and rank WOULD have ended up with at least a German Cross-- if not killed first.

Oh, for a NAME !!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a 1941/42 photo-- it was not allowed to wear a KVK2X with any WW2 EK before then, and he's wearing it in the short lived and justly despised "proper" precedence of that period before his HOH3X. :speechless:

Oh, for a NAME !!!!!!!!!!!!

I am curious. How did the KVK2x precedence change between 1940 and 1945?

Edited by Ulsterman

Guest Rick Research

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?s=&autocom...&img=862#18

The regulations were universally and justifiably flouted. :catjava:

When the "Winter Battles in the East 41/42" Russian Campaign Medal came out in 1942, it too was placed ahead of all non-Iron Cross WW1 awards-- which was just plain stupid, as well as insulting to the holders of valour decorations.

Since the 1914-18 HOH3X equated very neatly with a 1941-45 DKiG, placing the Hohenzollern after a desk-riding KVK2X was just silly-- and most recipients tossed a KVK back where it belonged. Some even wore them after their Hindenburg Crosses. :rolleyes:

Examples: a WW2 pair of WM3s-- W?rttemberg's highest WW1 military award:

The upper row of two here is in sane order, while the lower ribbonbar is in the ridiculous regulation precedence. The first bar (upper row of two--lower row is missing :( ) belonged to a frontline General while the lower belonged to some anonymous rear area retread.

Where something was being worn is a very good clue as to WHEN it was being worn. Note the nice pre-1942 type swords devices on the anonymous retread's bar.

There was similar wearer disregard for the lowly positioning of ribboned lifesaving awards under the Third Reich.