News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Spain - My Spanish ODM

Hugh

• 1 month later...

Here's a little something for your interest.

Hugh

That's beautiful Hugh. What r you using to attach the breast stars and the GC sash? I have some I would love to display and hang like this. Nice presentation......

Tony

That's beautiful Hugh. What r you using to attach the breast stars and the GC sash? I have some I would love to display and hang like this. Nice presentation......

Tony

I mount them on a semi-soft board material. For the breast stars, I put two straight pins into the material in an "X", and slide the star's pin down through them until the top of the star/pin rests on the "X". It takes a couple of tries to see where the position will come out. Similarly, I use straight pins (just like the ones they use in your new shirts) to hold the sash in position. For the breast badges and medals, I staple Velcro to the board / covering, and the mating Velcro material to the back of the ribbon.

It makes it easy when you have to reposition (after buying new ones!). The real trick is identifying a backing material which will hold the pins and staples. It should be of a reasonable thickness to hold the pins. It's been so long I can't remember the name of the stuff I use, but Home Depot or other DIY shop may have suggestions. The board that an art or framing shop will suggest may be too hard or not thick enough. It'll be surprisingly heavy so don't skimp or it'll buckle.

Good luck,

Hugh

Please note that pins and staples rust over time and stain the ribbons.

That's an old lesson I learnt long long ago!

Jim :regards:

Absolutely right, which means that you need to check on them by opening the frame and mounting your new purchases!

Hugh

What's the background on these items - did they all belong to one person? (nice display by the way)

No, they're one-sies collected over the past 50 years ever since I was a midshipman at the naval Academy. Thanks for your kind comments.

Hugh