News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hey! Wars Cost Money!

Guest Rick Research

Among the treasures brought over yesterday for Epson Immortalization was this Saxon Merit Order Commander 1st Class with Swords Star:

WHAT swords, say you? Look closer. They do not project points and hilts out past the rays of the star-- which is quite odd--and very likely uniquely identifiable.

This is a silver star of the 1891 design pattern change, with 3D wreath. 42 of this type were awarded before the war.

Saxony--as did several other thrifty states with budgets stretched past the breaking point--recycled returned peacetime Orders (from dead people :speechless1: ) by adding Swords to peacetime classes during the Great War, rather than paying for wholly new-made ones. :Cat-Scratch:

There were 15 Merit Order Commander 1st Class X awards during the war-- to 14 Generalleutnants, and 1 General der Infanterie.

ONE of them, surely, had his portrait taken wearing a star--THIS star-- where the swords do not project into space. :catjava:

My first thought (what do I know? Out of my usual naval engineers and field artillery Hauptleute range :rolleyes: ) seeing this was that the swords from an SA3aX had been fitted in there.

Nope. The swords on a Knight 1st are thicker, and could not be bent to fit against the vaulted rays of a star like this.

These swords were made to fit on a star... and I suspect the fitter simply got these too short.

What we have here is literaally a one-off, hand fitted Order, in tough times... saving a few RM. :ninja:

Guest Rick Research

Scharffenburg maker disk leaves NO mistake who made this one. :rolleyes:

I hope you have enjoyed seeing these beauties as much as I did actually getting to paw them. :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

Me too! I like it when travelling museums pull into my driveway. :jumping::jumping::jumping:

See what happens when you have an Epson scanner? :rolleyes: :catjava:

I bought an Epson V500 scanner a couple of months ago (my HP4200 wouldn't work under Vista and HP did not intend to update the drivers).

So now I'm waiting for the goodies to knock on my door... :D

P.S: It's a great scanner - I can recommend it.

/Mike

Guest Rick Research

Post scans and They Will Come. Of course, the many scenic wonders and seasonal attractions here on The Island may have SOMETHING to do with my sporadic popularity.... :catjava: