News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Scratch building project

Snoopy

My current project, is scratch building a japanese Kaiten suicide torpedo. I had to create my own plans for this project. The torpedo is 40 centimeters in length. I will post more photos, about the progress of the model.

Snoopy

Skeleton made from plywood.

My current project, is scratch building a japanese Kaiten suicide torpedo. I had to create my own plans for this project. The torpedo is 40 centimeters in length. I will post more photos, about the progress of the model.

Snoopy

Hi Snoopy,

Looking forward to seeing more of your new project :love:

Will it be a Type-1 or 2?

Regards Eddie

Hi Snoopy,

Looking forward to seeing more of your new project :love:

Will it be a Type-1 or 2?

Regards Eddie

Hi Eddie

I have used photos of the preserved Kaiten at Pearl Harbour, to create my drawings. I believe that it's a Type 4, which I understand is very similar to the Type 2.

All the best

Snoopy

Edited by Snoopy

Wow that is so cool was it a kit? I can't wait to see the finished profect.

Thank you so much for sharing:

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

Wow that is so cool was it a kit? I can't wait to see the finished profect.

Thank you so much for sharing:

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo

Thank's for the kind words. No, it's not a kit. It's built from my own plans.

All the best

Snoopy

Hi Lorenzo

Thank's for the kind words. No, it's not a kit. It's built from my own plans.

All the best

Snoopy

What type of material are you going to use for the exterior to give detail to the death bullet .

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

This is a very interesting project and topic. I've only seen a few photos of these torpedos so I can imagine it has already been a lot of work just to get your measurements.

Please be sure to keep us posted as you progress.

:cheers: Cheers

Brian

The exterior will be finished in styrene plastic, and the details will be made from brass and styrene. It was very difficult to find the correct measurements for the torpedo, and finding good drawings, was impossible. The only drawings that I could find, was some very ruff intelligence drawings, made from captured Kaitens. I have just finished detailing the conning tower, and ventral hatch.

Thank you very much for the links. They are great. I find it interesting that this weapon, was not intended as a pure suicide weapon. The upper hatch was intended as an escape hatch, but there are no record of anyone escaping from a Kaiten.

If anyone has any information, photos or anything related to the Kaiten, please feel free to post them in this thread.

All the best

Snoopy

Edited by Snoopy

Conning tower. Still some sanding, to get rid of the scratches.

The hatch is very nice to bad the guys that went down inside it never returned.

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

• 2 weeks later...

New 1:72 model from Lindberg. The japanese Kaiten carrier, I-53.

Snoopy

This is a very beautiful Model :cheers: Thank you for sharing it:

Lorenzo

Do you have a time line of when your Kaiten will be complete? I would love to see the finished model:

Lindberg: puts out a lot of great motorized War Ships: I have the 1/32 PT Boat...

Thank you

Lorenzo

• 4 months later...

A little progress report on my Kaiten project. It's allmost finished now. I still have to make a couple of decals, and the stand. I hope you like it.

Snoopy

It's not an easy model to take a good picture of, because it's quite long.

Edited by Snoopy

Do you have a time line of when your Kaiten will be complete? I would love to see the finished model:

Lindberg: puts out a lot of great motorized War Ships: I have the 1/32 PT Boat...

Thank you

Lorenzo

I am sorry for the late answer. I hope that the Kaiten will be finished in about a week.

I wish that I could buy kits by Lindberg, in Norway, but I don't think that there are any importers of Lindberg kit's. The PT boat looks great. Lindberg allso have a couple of Japanese submarines in 1:72 scale, that looks stunning.

Merry Christmas

Snoopy