News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Arisaka bayonet marking ?

ksg

Is it possible to get some more pictures of the grips,especially the screws? This maker mark is unknown to me and I don't believe it to be WWII Japanese. Overall there is just something not quite right about this bayo. My 1st impression is reproduction or postwar manufacture,possibly by another country.

Jim

Is it possible to get some more pictures of the grips,especially the screws? This maker mark is unknown to me and I don't believe it to be WWII Japanese. Overall there is just something not quite right about this bayo. My 1st impression is reproduction or postwar manufacture,possibly by another country.

Jim

Thanks for your opinion Jim! Hope the new pictures are ok? Just for the record, I can traced the bayonet back 32-33 years. I came to Norway from British company in a lot containing different markings. One of the other was Nagoya marked.

Kjell

Hello Kjell,

You certianly have a mystery there. I have several volumes on bayonets in my collection (bayonets were all sold). I know that the Japanese Type "I" rifle was maufactured in Italy (I-shiki shoju) so I started to go through my books and notes looking for any evidence that the Arisaka Type 30 bayonet had like-wise also been "farmed out". I can find no evidence of this. The mark on your bayonet does not exactly match up to any arsenal marks on either Japanese bayonets of swords that I can find. The closest I can find is the Nagoya Arsenal diamond-shaped mark but they didn't use Western numbers to my knowledge.

I'll keep searching my records.

Perhaps if this post can be kept "alive" for a while longer one of the other members will see it an be able to help.

Good luck.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Well,I have thumbed through every book I have and do not find this bayo. I also could not find any info on the online reference sites I use. I took the liberty of posting pics on the BCN and will let you know if I find out anything.

Jim

Hello Kjell,

You certianly have a mystery there. I have several volumes on bayonets in my collection (bayonets were all sold). I know that the Japanese Type "I" rifle was maufactured in Italy (I-shiki shoju) so I started to go through my books and notes looking for any evidence that the Arisaka Type 30 bayonet had like-wise also been "farmed out". I can find no evidence of this. The mark on your bayonet does not exactly match up to any arsenal marks on either Japanese bayonets of swords that I can find. The closest I can find is the Nagoya Arsenal diamond-shaped mark but they didn't use Western numbers to my knowledge.

I'll keep searching my records.

Perhaps if this post can be kept "alive" for a while longer one of the other members will see it an be able to help.

Good luck.

Brian

Hello Brian

Thanks for taking interest in this. Hope the question will be answered one day:...!

I didn?t know Arisakas was produced in Italy, so at least I learned something new :)

Thanks again!

Kjell

Well,I have thumbed through every book I have and do not find this bayo. I also could not find any info on the online reference sites I use. I took the liberty of posting pics on the BCN and will let you know if I find out anything.

Jim

Thanks again Jim! I have added two more detail photos.

Kjell

Hello Brian

Thanks for taking interest in this. Hope the question will be answered one day:...!

I didn?t know Arisakas was produced in Italy, so at least I learned something new :)

Thanks again!

Kjell

Hi Kjell,

I'm not sure the Type "I" (I-shiki shoju) was actually a type of Arisaka or not. I have attached a photo of one from the book Japanese Bayonets by Larry Johnson. The Type "I" is actually longer than the photo shows. I've also included a photo of the Type 30 Arisaka Rife (Sanju nenshiki shoju) for compairison. I no longer collect firearms and all of the Japanese rifles and bayonets went with the first wife's departure. She didn't see any value in books (illiterate b--ch!) so I still have my reference material.

I know this has nothing to do with your post but I wanted to clear up the question of the Type "I".

Brian

Here's the Type 30 Arisaka rifle for comparision.

I'll keep looking for that arsenal mark.

Perhaps there are members who know a lot more about Japanese riles who read this post. I am wondering if the Japanese sold Arisaka rifles to any other countries and the mark may have been put on those bayonets. I'm "fishing" now. :unsure:

Brian

Here's the Type 30 Arisaka rifle for comparision.

I'll keep looking for that arsenal mark.

Perhaps there are members who know a lot more about Japanese riles who read this post. I am wondering if the Japanese sold Arisaka rifles to any other countries and the mark may have been put on those bayonets. I'm "fishing" now. :unsure:

Brian

Other contrys Japan sold rifles to was Siam, Mexico and Great Britain ( GB, 2 types of rifles and one type of carbine). The last ones ended up in Russia. A lot of these can still be found in Finland. Mexico and I think Siam produced their own bayonets.

Kjell

Edited by ksg