News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

General Sir Charles Warren

Guest pikemedals

hi i can tell you the last medal is a 1887 metropolitan police jubilee medal named to the co division. the photo must be post 1887 paul

He was London Metropolitian Police Commissioner from 1886 to 88, it was on

his watch that Jack the Ripper slew at will

Born - 1840 / Died - 1927

Here's a short list of his awards (there are probably others) -

The Most Distinguished Order of St Michael & St George - Knights Grand Cross (G.C.M.G.)

The Most Honorable Order of the Bath - Knights Commander (K.C.B.)

Order of St John of Jerusalem - Knight of Justice

-in the pic on his medal bar-

South Africa Medal

Egypt Medal

Khedives Star

Metro Police Jubilee (1887)

He served as a General (not a very good one) in the Boer War, so he probably received the following-

Queens South Africa Medal

Kings South Africa Medal

Egyptian Order of Medijiye (sp?) - 3rd class (one of his collar awards)

Edited by David S

I believe if you look jut infront of his medal bar there is also a Queen victoria's diamond jubilee medal of 1897 and as its not attached to the rest i theorize this photo would have been taken shortly after it was awarded.

Cheers

Chris

I believe if you look jut infront of his medal bar there is also a Queen victoria's diamond jubilee medal of 1897 and as its not attached to the rest i theorize this photo would have been taken shortly after it was awarded.

Cheers

Chris

I think you're right, well spotted and thanks, edit but what's this? BTW is that a military crimson uniform or a diplomatic dark Blue?

regards

Alex

Edited by Alex K

I think you're right, well spotted and thanks, edit but what's this? BTW is that a military crimson uniform or a diplomatic dark Blue?

regards

Alex

Actually I believe that's his police commissioner dress uniform, dark blue with silver embroidery.

Edited by Mike Dwyer

The uniform is really the civil court uniform (dark blue), but without cuffs and trouser legs one cannot be sure of which class. It was worn by a variety of civil government employees, e.g. governors, ambassadors, privy councillors, and so on.

Here is a link to a shart online biography for Warren

http://www.pef.org.uk/Pages/People/Warren.htm

He also seems to have been prominent in masonic circles.

Cheers,

James

The uniform is really the civil court uniform (dark blue), but without cuffs and trouser legs one cannot be sure of which class. It was worn by a variety of civil government employees, e.g. governors, ambassadors, privy councillors, and so on.

Here is a link to a shart online biography for Warren

http://www.pef.org.uk/Pages/People/Warren.htm

He also seems to have been prominent in masonic circles.

Cheers,

James

Hi James for the link, already found that one, btw I assume that they no longer wear these types of civil uniforms?

regards

Alex

Hi James for the link, already found that one, btw I assume that they no longer wear these types of civil uniforms?

regards

Alex

Since Courts were abandoned more than 60 years ago the opportunities to wear them are slim. Besides which, the cost must now be astronomical.

From time to time one sees some British Ambassador to another monarchy or a Lieutenant-Governor in Canada wearing one. The courts of Denmark or Thailand seem to go in for gala uniforms and very formal events, so the British Ambassador tends to wear his there.

A few years ago I saw Lord Steel, the former leader of the Liberal Democrats in the UK, wearing his as a Privy Councillor. Alas, I cannot remember what the function was.

Since Courts were abandoned more than 60 years ago the opportunities to wear them are slim. Besides which, the cost must now be astronomical.

From time to time one sees some British Ambassador to another monarchy or a Lieutenant-Governor in Canada wearing one. The courts of Denmark or Thailand seem to go in for gala uniforms and very formal events, so the British Ambassador tends to wear his there.

A few years ago I saw Lord Steel, the former leader of the Liberal Democrats in the UK, wearing his as a Privy Councillor. Alas, I cannot remember what the function was.

I assume that these were private purchase items and not "Government issue", they must have cost a fortune to taylor, still I suppose when entering a room with say 100 people all wearing similar garb, decorated with shiny baubles, it must have looked a pretty impressive sight.

thanks for the info

regards

Alex

Hello Alex,

Sorry, but I know not how these things were funded.

However, in Warren's day one usually had to purchase the insignia for the orders one received. There are reports of many people refusing to accept awards because they simply could not afford the cost. So one probably had to pay for the uniform too.

In more recent times I know that diplomats receive clothing allowances.

Cheers,

James