News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Republic of Korea (South Korea)

Hugh

• Replies 168
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Grand Order of Mugunghwa

Instituted: 13 August 1949.

Awarded: To the President and to foreign heads of state.

This is the Collar:

Edited by Hugh

Grand Order of Mugunghwa

Instituted: 13 August 1949.

Awarded: To the President and to foreign heads of state.

This is the Collar:

Don't I remember that the Mugungwha is the Rose of Sharon?

You are correct, The mugunghwa is the Rose of Sharon. It is a Hibiscus, that when cut down quickly grows back. By extension, Korean is a country that has often been invaded but always comes back.

Order of National Security Merit

Instituted: 1967

Awarded: For distinguished service to national security, in 5 classes.

This is the Tongil Medal (1st Class) badge, version awarded before 1973:

Edited by Megan

Order of Military Merit

Instituted: 18 October 1950

Awarded: To military personnel for outstanding conduct during wartime or in a state of emergency.

Here is the Taegeug (1st Class) as awarded 1950-67. Originally this badge was all you got, in 1963 they added a star (of which I do not yet have a picture).

Last one for today - my hand hurts!

Here is the Inheon (5th Class), which - like the 1st & 2nd class stars - was added to the order in 1963, and awarded in this form until the inevitable revision in 1967.

It is interesting how the design is completely different for each class - you'd never guess they were all from the same order if you didn't know!

Order of Military Merit

Instituted: 18 October 1950

Awarded: To military personnel for outstanding conduct during wartime or in a state of emergency.

Here is the Taegeug (1st Class) as awarded 1950-67. Originally this badge was all you got, in 1963 they added a star (of which I do not yet have a picture).

This design for the Taekuk was used from 1951 to 1963, at which time it was changed to a sash and had a breast star added.

Next, the Eulji (2nd Class) of the 1950-67 vintage. Again, before 1963 this was all you got.

This particular design was used from 1951 to 1963, at which time it went to a cravat and had a breast star added.

Thanks for the additional information, Don - will amend the page. It's getting to look like separate pages for 1950-63 and 1963-67 will be necessary!

Do you have any pictures of the changed insignia? Or better ones of contemporary insignia than the South Korean government ones that you have used on your site?