News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nelson Is Britain's Greatest Ever Military Hero

I received this via internal defence email today and wondered what your thoughts were?

Nelson Is Britain's Greatest Military Hero

Poll shows that most Britons rate the hero of Trafalgar above Wellington, Montgomery and Richard the Lionheart.

Admiral Lord Nelson is the peoples choice as Britain's greatest ever military hero.

In a poll by ComRes for the United Kingdom National Defence Association (UKNDA) (www.uknda.org) Nelson has beaten other famous British warriors such as Montgomery of Alamein and the Duke of Wellington to be hailed as the nation's best-loved military leader.

Richard the Lionheart, 'Bomber' Harris and Colonel H Jones are also among the heroes respected and admired in Britain today.

The national icon since his death in battle two centuries ago, Lord Nelson comfortably tops the poll across all age groups from 18 upwards, but his highest rating is from the younger generation (ages 18 - 24), 44% of whom say he is the greatest hero of all time.

However, almost a quarter of young adults say the "don't know" who is the best of Britain's past heroes - perhaps reflecting changing values in society, in which military leaders are no longer praised and 'social' history takes the place of traditional history teaching in schools.

Britain's greatest military heroes - according to the ComRes poll - are:

1. Admiral Horatio Nelson - 27% (44% among age group 18 - 24)

2. Field-Marshall Montgomery - 19%

3. The Duke of Wellington - 11%

4. Richard the Lionheart - 8%

5 'Bomber' Harris - 3%

6. King Henry V - 2%

7. Lord Kitchener - 2%

8. Colonel 'H' Jones - 2%

I'd say name recognition goes to Nelson.

My vote would goto Hugh Dowding the commander of the RAF during the Battle of Britain.

Wiki Dowding

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Dowding

thanks,

barry

I would personally go for Napier of Magdala who conducted one of the most logistically difficult capaigns of all times (Abyssinia 1868) successfully through thorough and careful planning and with virtually no casualties and there was plenty of potential for things going wrong.

Paul

Unfortunately, don't want to throw a dampener on the thread, but my experience is, if you ask the average 10-25 year olds nowadays (In the UK at least ) they won't know what any of them actually did. Their hero's are the one's that win Big Brother or the X factor (Sorry UK programmes), there are US versions I believe. People who fought hard against tyranny and subjugation don't seem to do so well! Many appear to have heard of Churchill, Nelson etc but ain't got a clue as to what they did. (Appear on Big Brother!!). History isn't their Bag as they have lived in a predominantely peaceful period, so Military Heroes don't figure, This sort of thing just isn't taught in British Skools :wacky: anymore

regards

Alex K :(

Guest Rick Research

Same here. I think like "most popular female politician" or whatever, it is distant memory of "I've heard that name" from folk who couldn't match photos to names.

Bet half of them think Trafalgar means he put in the traffic signals in the Square. Aside from the telescope to his blind eye one liner and "Kiss me, Hardy" (and THAT must be popular, these days :rolleyes: ) betcha the respondents would come up empty on anything else, unless maybe some dim TV mini-series about Lady Hamilton retains any impression.

Surprised it's not Wellington, since he invented those rubber boots and everyone must have had Winnie the Pooh or Paddington Bear read to them at an impressionable age. :unsure::rolleyes::cheeky:

Equally surprised to see Harris on the list-- since wasn't aware anyone liked or respected him, including his own (surviving) men.

Since the "Lionheart" didn't even speak English and spent what, 36 days or something in his whole life in England :speechless1::cheeky: am also surprised to see HIM on that list. Just goes to show what having a catchy nickname can do, even when things like Acre are forgotten.

Branagh aside, I doubt many people could place any of the Henry's except old VIII.

Not enough STORY in history these past two generations:

far more "reality" than any TV. :speechless:

Same here. I think like "most popular female politician" or whatever, it is distant memory of "I've heard that name" from folk who couldn't match photos to names.

Bet half of them think Trafalgar means he put in the traffic signals in the Square. Aside from the telescope to his blind eye one liner and "Kiss me, Hardy" (and THAT must be popular, these days ) betcha the respondents would come up empty on anything else, unless maybe some dim TV mini-series about Lady Hamilton retains any impression.

Surprised it's not Wellington, since he invented those rubber boots and everyone must have had Winnie the Pooh or Paddington Bear read to them at an impressionable age.

Equally surprised to see Harris on the list-- since wasn't aware anyone liked or respected him, including his own (surviving) men.

Since the "Lionheart" didn't even speak English and spent what, 36 days or something in his whole life in England am also surprised to see HIM on that list. Just goes to show what having a catchy nickname can do, even when things like Acre are forgotten.

Branagh aside, I doubt many people could place any of the Henry's except old VIII.

Not enough STORY in history these past two generations:

far more "reality" than any TV.

You've seemed to have summed it slightly better then me :speechless1:

As an interesting side note, The Phrase "Kiss me Hardy" was changed in the earlier days of the last century to "Kismet Hardy" Kismet being a phrase which means "That's fate" as it was deemed inapropriate to have two men showing such affection as kissing each other. There's a good example of changing history to suit what's deemed "Politically correct" Learned that from one of the guides on HMS Victory in Portsmouth when I was there a few weeks ago.

regards

Alex