News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fake Iraqi ODM

Guest IMHF

1935-45 War Medal

Here is a picture of a 1935-45 War Medal that has a replaced ribbon made out of a cheap piece of cloth.

Lorenzo

Nut al Taawin/Cooperation with Syira Second Class

This medal here also has a replaced ribbon with sort of cheap piece of cloth:

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

Wisam al Jadara/Order of Merit First Class

This Rare Wisam al Jadara/Order of Merit is a very expensive small medal type Order, I have 3 of them in my collection. This one right here was bought from over seas by a friend, this is the second one that I have seen like this. The ribbon was replaced by using an Iraqi Army Golden Jubilee ribbon and made up to look like the golden ribbon on the wisam al Jadara. they would use a black permanent marker for the center line and paint the sky blue edges on to cover up the green ends of the ribbon of the Iraqi Army Golden Jubilee. All this to give this beautiful rare order a replacement ribbon.

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

The problem with ribbons, both in Iraq and some other countries, is their availability. Given the fact that medals were manufactured all over the world by various companies, the ribbons are sometimes more difficult to find than the actual medals! I have submitted a formal request for certain Iraqi Medal ribbon to a source in Baghad and it will be very interesting to see what he can supply or obtain.

The problem with ribbons, both in Iraq and some other countries, is their availability. Given the fact that medals were manufactured all over the world by various companies, the ribbons are sometimes more difficult to find than the actual medals! I have submitted a formal request for certain Iraqi Medal ribbon to a source in Baghad and it will be very interesting to see what he can supply or obtain.

They have them it's just they dont want to sell them, there is an antique dealer in Iraq who has rolls and rolls of all kinds of Iraqi and British medals and orders. The only problem is he will not part with them.

He gave me a foot' of ribbons for a few of the Iraqi medals so I can have them for my collection. He had Kingdom and Republic Ribbon rolls for the wisam al Rafidain. My eyes were amazed.....Here is some of the ones he gave me as a gift, each one cutt a little over a foot long and folded in 3's and I put them in a plastic case to protect each one.

Thank you

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

These are the more common medals and orders ribbons that you have been given. The more senior orders and the less freely available ones are the problem. That is why many of the more difficult awards appear without or with incorrect ribbons. I disagree totally with the perception that ribbons are faked, they are simply not readily available. This includes other countries besides Iraq. The market for Iraqi awards is not of such a nature that these fakes are made to capture a market which is comparable,for example, with WW2 German fakes and copies/reproductions that are made. We need to keep these aspects and thoughts in perspective. The monetary value and interest in Iraqi common awards is simply not there! I feel that the interest and availibily is currently aimed at capturing the souvenier market and is not aimed at the serious or more knowledgable collector.

These are the more common medals and orders ribbons that you have been given. The more senior orders and the less freely available ones are the problem. That is why many of the more difficult awards appear without or with incorrect ribbons. I disagree totally with the perception that ribbons are faked, they are simply not readily available. This includes other countries besides Iraq. The market for Iraqi awards is not of such a nature that these fakes are made to capture a market which is comparable,for example, with WW2 German fakes and copies/reproductions that are made. We need to keep these aspects and thoughts in perspective. The monetary value and interest in Iraqi common awards is simply not there! I feel that the interest and availibily is currently aimed at capturing the souvenier market and is not aimed at the serious or more knowledgable collector.

I agree with you 100%

In Iraq the big collectors hold onto the stuff and don't want to part with it....

That is what I seen in Iraq: I feel you on the shortage and it being a money market to sell and not to preserve the history.

Thank you

Lorenzo

Gentlemen,

I suspect that professional collectors of Iraqi awards are few and far between however there are many many collectors of quality orders regardless of the country of the award and this allied with the souvenir market is what has driven up the price of the orders. With regard to medals they seem to be still fairly cheap - if one waits long enough most of the medals do still appear at reasonable prices, however there are some genuine scarce items such as the King Faisal Bravery series and here collectors of British medals relating to Iraq have driven prices up but such theatre located inflation is not unique to Iraq.

I have recently purchased a good condition Order of Um Al Marek 3rd Class with sash for $850 - not cheap but to my mind not a "rip off" for an uncommom award and I think a fair deal for all concerned. Equally I have refused to pay $2,100 for a repaired Order of the Republic, Military 2nd Class without ribbon. (I would be interested to know how many of either order were issued?) Ultimately as we all know we pay what we are prepared or indeed an afford to pay - unfortunately the collector instinct often clouds any economic sense! What would we do if an Order of King Faisal came for auction........?

Regards,

Owain

Gentlemen,

I suspect that professional collectors of Iraqi awards are few and far between however there are many many collectors of quality orders regardless of the country of the award and this allied with the souvenir market is what has driven up the price of the orders. With regard to medals they seem to be still fairly cheap - if one waits long enough most of the medals do still appear at reasonable prices, however there are some genuine scarce items such as the King Faisal Bravery series and here collectors of British medals relating to Iraq have driven prices up but such theatre located inflation is not unique to Iraq.

I have recently purchased a good condition Order of Um Al Marek 3rd Class with sash for $850 - not cheap but to my mind not a "rip off" for an uncommom award and I think a fair deal for all concerned. Equally I have refused to pay $2,100 for a repaired Order of the Republic, Military 2nd Class without ribbon. (I would be interested to know how many of either order were issued?) Ultimately as we all know we pay what we are prepared or indeed an afford to pay - unfortunately the collector instinct often clouds any economic sense! What would we do if an Order of King Faisal came for auction........?

Regards,

Owain

If we want to complete or collection with the rare pieces we must pay top dollar. Like the Kingdom Order or Item I paid $3000.00 for it could be nothing or it could be something. You could be the riches man in the world with money and pay it but its the seller who prices it if you want it so bad. You can offer the money but it's up to them to want to sell it...

This is what makes it diffacult you offer the money over the value and the collector does not want to part with it....

Lorenzo

18 November 1963 Medal for the new Revolution

Another Iraqi Medal that is being sold with the ribbon replaced with a cheap piece of cloth:

Lorenzo

• 3 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...

Kurd Rebellion Medal enamel touch up with a fake ribbon added as well..

Lorenzo

Hey Lorenzo,

This one looks like one of the fire damaged ones I sold for about 5 bucks, along with some others from the fire damaged lot. Where did you find this?

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Lorenzo,

This one looks like one of the fire damaged ones I sold for about 5 bucks, along with some others from the fire damaged lot. Where did you find this?

Tony

A dealer offerd it to me but I declined:

Lorenzo