News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fake Iraqi ODM

Guest IMHF

Fake Iraqi Military Medals and Orders are popping up, post them here for others to see and not get cought up buying the crap:

I was told now they are making fake Iraqi Medals from Factories in Europe:

This one is Iraqi Made and is being Auction off as Saddam era Iraqi Medal:

Manufactured by a gift shop type seller for a suvinior, take a piece of the Wisam al Rafidain and make a mold out of it. Then pour some hot melted medal even lead into the mold let it harden and put a cheap plastic colord ribbon on it: They sell these type of Medals in Iraq for $1.00 each.

This one now has 7 bids on it and the price is $50.00

Thank you for viewing

Lorenzo

This one has a cheap colored plastic ribbon that looks like the 1979 War with Isreal Medal ribbon:

You can see the excess flashing from the molding on this fake medal:

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

• 2 weeks later...

Here are more fake sets of medals that sell in Iraq for $5.00. These fakes are selling in the US for over $100.00..

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

• 3 weeks later...

Fake Iraqi Military Medals and Orders are popping up, post them here for others to see and not get cought up buying the crap:

I was told now they are making fake Iraqi Medals from Factories in Europe:

This one is Iraqi Made and is being Auction off as Saddam era Iraqi Medal:

Manufactured by a gift shop type seller for a suvinior, take a piece of the Wisam al Rafidain and make a mold out of it. Then pour some hot melted medal even lead into the mold let it harden and put a cheap plastic colord ribbon on it: They sell these type of Medals in Iraq for $1.00 each.

This one now has 7 bids on it and the price is $50.00

Thank you for viewing

Lorenzo

Lorenzo,

I was at an antique show in Rochester, Mn. the last part of August and I see what you mean by junk comming back from Iraq. A dealer was trying to sell items he had purchased from a veteran just back from Iraq. Included was the medal you show in post # 1, two Wound medals each with different ribbons and with two different types of suspension ( one was correct ) . All the medals I saw had the wrong ribbons and the real kicker was a 1926-1958 General Service Medal with the rifle stocks cut off even with the rim of the medal. I didn't have my camera along as I wasn't expecting to see this kind of junk at the show. The dealer was asking $ 75.00 for the group. The group was six medals but I don't remember what the others were but nothing rare was in the group.

Take care and stay safe.

Bob

So much crap now seems to be concocted these days for sale to the idiots in the occupying forces that it seems to be worth stopping collecting Iraqi ODM (as I have done since 20 March 2003).

(I write this without seeing many of the previous posts, sorry.)

Guest Rick Research

Well, at least there is Current Interest and a large market for the REAL items that are being faked or embellished, with all their mysterious unreadable squiggles.

NOT like the tidal wave of Frankenstein Chinese items (I am now seeing increasingly :speechless1: "war lord Orders" appearing) on the market that would have been better used as COIN metal or gutter flashing than as tat nobody wants and nobody collects. maybe it can all be recycled as shhip ballast and sent back where that came from.

Well, at least there is Current Interest and a large market for the REAL items that are being faked or embellished, with all their mysterious unreadable squiggles.

Well, the "squiggles" can be read. And, you of all people. say this, spending your non-family-reunion free days pfutzing-about in pre-1918 German medal rolls written in scribble-scrawls in no known human language?? Ha! :cheeky:

NOT like the tidal wave of Frankenstein Chinese items (I am now seeing increasingly :speechless1: "war lord Orders" appearing) on the market that would have been better used as COIN metal or gutter flashing than as tat nobody wants and nobody collects. maybe it can all be recycled as shhip ballast and sent back where that came from.

Us as knows and has the books (with their goofy caption translations) knows what Chinese things are (mostly) real. Someday, there may be a book in barbarian-speak. Tee-hee. :jumping:

Iraqi Bravery Medal Fake ribbon......... :speechless:

Just to be clear, what is it you mean by a fake ribbon?

Are these ribbons manufactured to "look like" the real thing and to be passed off as such, or do you mean an incorrect ribbon as technically that would not necessarily constitute a fake.

Thanks in advance for clairifying this question.

Regards

Brian

Just to be clear, what is it you mean by a fake ribbon?

Are these ribbons manufactured to "look like" the real thing and to be passed off as such, or do you mean an incorrect ribbon as technically that would not necessarily constitute a fake.

Thanks in advance for clairifying this question.

Regards

Brian

There are two factors to the ribbons to clear up what I wrote above. Some ribbons are replaced with a long keychain ribbon cut down to size to fit the medal or an unknown piece of cloth. Others are manufactured with the wrong ribbon to sell for souvenirs.

These types of medals are not only coming out of Iraq from the occuping forces. These medals are mailed to dealers in America who are making a great deal of money. They are selling the medals for $50-$100 dollars after they have bought a large shippment from dealers in Iraq for a few bucks. These medals are then bought from the American dealers by people that think the have discovered a new type of Iraqi Medal or Order. The collector who lacks the knowledge in the Iraqi ODM, which are growing in numbers. This is due to the vast market all over the web with large numbers of Iraqi medals to purches.

Thank you so much for your views and insight

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

Guest Rick Research

"The collector who lacks the knowledge in the Iraqi ODM, which are growing in numbers. This is due to the vast market all over the web with large numbers of Iraqi medals to purches."

This suggests that a good color book of as many as possible, front and back, with names in English would be welcomed. :cheers:

There are two factors to the ribbons to clear up what I wrote above. Some ribbons are replaced with a long keychain ribbon cut down to size to fit the medal or an unknown piece of cloth. Others are manufactured with the wrong ribbon to sell for souvenirs.

These types of medals are not only coming out of Iraq from the occuping forces. These medals are mailed to dealers in America who are making a great deal of money. They are selling the medals for $50-$100 dollars after they have bought a large shippment from dealers in Iraq for a few bucks. These medals are then bought from the American dealers by people that think the have discovered a new type of Iraqi Medal or Order. The collector who lacks the knowledge in the Iraqi ODM, which are growing in numbers. This is due to the vast market all over the web with large numbers of Iraqi medals to purches.

Thank you so much for your views and insight

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,

Thanks for the additional information. Often I read on the forum that this or that is a fake or a reproduction with nothing to back up such a statement. Perhaps it's old age but I no longer take such opinions as Gospel as too often they are based on pure opinion without any supporting background. As to Iraqi medals, I know nothing and as you have advised I will stay a long ways away from them.

Cheers

Brian

"The collector who lacks the knowledge in the Iraqi ODM, which are growing in numbers. This is due to the vast market all over the web with large numbers of Iraqi medals to purches."

This suggests that a good color book of as many as possible, front and back, with names in English would be welcomed. :cheers:

Good point, Rick. But, speaking frankly, I have no interest at all in empowering [the show me] the "war booty" uniformed crowd. Silence is golden.

I am almost glad that my Iraq Medals website is now dead and that the volumes of regulations I got from now-dead friends in immediate pre-"liberation" Iraq lie (mostly) untranslated on the shelves. Someday, maybe, . . . .

Similar fantasy/fake/lunatic stuff/garbage is coming out of occcupied Afghanistan.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Good point, Rick. But, speaking frankly, I have no interest at all in empowering [the show me] the "war booty" uniformed crowd. Silence is golden.

I am almost glad that my Iraq Medals website is now dead and that the volumes of regulations I got from now-dead friends in immediate pre-"liberation" Iraq lie (mostly) untranslated on the shelves. Someday, maybe, . . . .

Similar fantasy/fake/lunatic stuff/garbage is coming out of occcupied Afghanistan.

There is a man here in Iraq who is writing a book on Iraqi ODM he has 100s of old documents, advertisements from many Medal and order manufacturers of Iraq Order and Medal. I hope it gets finished soon great eye candy and information... I will never stop collecting Iraqi ODM

Thank you

Lorenzo

Iraqi Supreme Worthiness Medal

I have seen these being sold with a replacement ribbon for $50.00. This ribbon is based on the Iraq flag colors to draw the suvinour collector to buy it.

This is not the original ribbon for this Medal: