News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Leopold I

Hello everyone,

I am a new member and I yould like to post a question. I nave noticed on the reverse of Knights, Officers of the Order of Leopold I that there is a number I or II betwwen the letters. What does it mean?

These are merely manufacturers frivolities. I believe the medals with the "II" were made in the Heremans workshop and the ones marked "I" were made by Wolfers. Though maybe someone more knowledgeable made correct me on this or be more precize.

Jan

Hello, I've been reading your question, Dkostas, and I have asked this mather to a medal facturer, and together we looked in some old documents and registers, and found nowhere an answer for that question. :wacky:

There should not even be a Royal Agreement about that. :banger:

He said also that there is a suspicion that, during the reign of King Leopold I, the medalfacturers placed a 'I' and during the reign of King Leopold II, they placed a 'II'. Let us call it an artistic freedom of the medal engravers.

I still keep my eyes and ears wide open for that mather, and if I get to know something more, be sure I will let you know.

Bemed

Edited by Bemed

Hello, I've been reading your question, Dkostas, and I have asked this mather to a medal facturer, and together we looked in some old documents and registers, and found nowhere an answer for that question. :wacky:

There should not even be a Royal Agreement about that. :banger:

He said also that there is a suspicion that, during the reign of King Leopold I, the medalfacturers placed a 'I' and during the reign of King Leopold II, they placed a 'II'. Let us call it an artistic freedom of the medal engravers.

I still keep my eyes and ears wide open for that mather, and if I get to know something more, be sure I will let you know.

Bemed

:unsure:Thanks Bemed,

I have a couple of my Belgian friends looking into this question also as I found these posts interesting. I was always told the same thing as you mentioned above and am glad to hear more of the same. When my friends get back to me, I will be sure to post their ideas here for further discussion. :rolleyes: