News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

please ID persian order

Surfing on the web i found this decoration by a wellknown dealer.

He says

Iran Ghajar Military Order of Lion and Sun, a very different version and of EXTREME RARITY in low grade gold and gilt, First Class badge, 10 points, hallmarked on the ring and hand painted high relief center. Crown above the lion and another on the body itself, the first one of its kind that we have handled

Price U$7500

o4368

I always thought that this decoration is a variant of the order of science.

Can somebody with more knowledge id this decoration:

THE LINK

regards

josef

Edited by Josef Rietveld

This type insignia is more usually identified as the Persian {Ghajar} Arts & Sciences Award (Order, Decoration, Medal as you will). A recent auction offered one. Edited by 922F

More properly Qajar (than "Ghajar" - where'd THAT come from?!). Sort of distant cousin of the "Lion and Sun".

On the arts and sciences order, see: http://web.archive.org/web/20071102192158/...Orders/ilmi.htm

On the L&S, see: http://web.archive.org/web/20071102192203/...ers/lionsun.htm

Buyers' site is, alas, offline. He has/had good information.

More properly Qajar (than "Ghajar" - where'd THAT come from?!). Sort of distant cousin of the "Lion and Sun".

On the arts and sciences order, see: http://web.archive.org/web/20071102192158/...Orders/ilmi.htm

On the L&S, see: http://web.archive.org/web/20071102192203/...ers/lionsun.htm

Buyers' site is, alas, offline. He has/had good information.

thanks Ed for the link. Unfortunately i can't see hardly any pictures. Buyers writes First class: a nine-pointed star in silver with plain rays grouped in threes but the star i have shown is a ten-pointed. The greatest difference: this badges center disk depicts an Lion with sword in his fangs - typicall for the military division of the L/S Order. i will try to find out more by reading buyers article. i hope so.

regards

josef

thanks Ed for the link. Unfortunately i can't see hardly any pictures. Buyers writes First class: a nine-pointed star in silver with plain rays grouped in threes but the star i have shown is a ten-pointed. The greatest difference: this badges center disk depicts an Lion with sword in his fangs - typicall for the military division of the L/S Order. i will try to find out more by reading buyers article. i hope so.

regards

josef

Apart from the item you mention there appear to be one or two other items that look somewhat doubtful. A few items down, there is an item labelled "Ghajar Order of Moghadas" in very modern looking enamels. The order came in diamonds and precious stones. Indeed, the only way to distinguished it from the Aghdas and Quds was by the numbers of these precious stones. There never was an enamelled version.

Another photograph of an item even further down appears to be identical to a photograph of an item in the Royal Collection at Windsor. Either H.M. is hard up for funds, and has sold both photograph and decoration to the dealer, or there is something a little odd.

James

Josef,

Some further information on a possible ID for this decoration.

According to Mr Buyers, before the state Order of the Arts and Sciences was established, the elite educational institutions in Tehran awarded their own medals. Amongst these were the prestigious Dar al-Funan College, the Madrasa-ye Naseri, the Madrasa-ye Nizam-i-Dawlati and the Military Academy. These medals were awarded to staff and students, thus essentially scholastic in nature. Since the Military Academy and the Dar ul-Funan College employed a number of distinguished foreign professors, the awards are occasionally found in the west.

The state Order of Arts and Sciences (Nishan-i-Ilmi) replaced these awards and was extended as a general nation-wide award for recognising the advancement of learning and dissemination of knowledge by scientists, writers, educators, artists, students, researchers, etc.

The award you mention may be the first class medal from the Military Academy, before the Order of Arts and Sciences was established.

James