News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An American in the Canadian Militia

parchment is inked, "chester mineer davies 1883-1952 nov 16 june 10 born waitsburg, wn (near walla walla) died seattle, wn"

wn stands for the state of washington (wa). old school

both medals are stamped 258828 spr c m davies crt (canadian railway troops?)

the c.e.f. service at the front badge is numbered 59708

this is not in my sphere of interest--anything cool about this group?

Edited by Eric Stahlhut

He is one of the many thousands of American citizens who defied the U.S. Governments stand on neutrality, who either enlisted into the Canadian or British Army to serve during the Great War of 1914-18. So exsasperated was the U.S. Government at these brave young men who defied their elected rulers will, that the U.S.G. threatened to have them stripped of their citizenship.

It is estimated that over 30,000 Americans actually served on the Western Front before the U.S.G. eventually became part of the Allied alliance in 1917. On America joining the Allies many of these men went over to serve in the U.S.Forces, while others remained with their British and Canadian colleagues, and as a result all Americans who enlisted into and served with the Empire Forces were entitled to wear the illustrated medals(and others) with great pride.

Be honoured to have them and treat them with the respect they deserve. :beer:

thank you very much for the info & comments, guys

:cheers:

You should maybe read Kitchener's Mob, it's a great book written by a US citizen who volunteered to serve with the British army, I think he volunteered in 1915.

Tony

There's at least two others that I know of written by Amercans serving in the British Army during that time and I have them both at home but can't think of the titles and I'm thousands of miles from there. I'll get those other titles and pass them on to you a.s.a.p.. They do make excellent reading, being frst hand accounts of American citizens who served in the British Army.

• 5 weeks later...

Other books to read regarding Americans in the British Army are;-

"Over the Top" by Guy Empey.

"A Yankee in the Trenches" - R. Derby Holmes.

"Shellproof Mack" - Arhur Mack. Haven't read this one and have only been notified of it's existence.

A Yankee in the Trenches is available as an e book here http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13279

I haven't read it yet but as he served in 22 London Regt. I'll no doubt find it interesting. Many members of my family served in the 22nd too. My latest purchase was a 1914 trio and pair + plaque to brothers from Bermondsey, one of them being in the 22nd.

Tony

Very interesting group.

I have a WWII service book that belonged to an American volunteer from Vicksburg, Michigan. He served in the VGC(Veterans Guard of Canada) and also had previous service in WWI with the Royal Canadian Forestry Corps.