News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hallo gentlemen,

can someone help me with information about Oberleutnant Werner Kirsten .

i have a lot of information about his carrer (thank to Rick). But there are some gaps.

Maybe some of you can fill the gaps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oberst Werner Kirsten

Birth date: missing

Birth town: missing

He was in the 2nd Company of the 7th (Prussian) Infantry Regiment

+ Leutnant (22.3.13 C) 10/F?silier-Regiment Nr 38

+ Oberleutnant ( 20.06.1918) Infanterie Regiment 7 Oppeln

+ Hauptmann (01.02.1927) Kdr Infanterie Regiment 7 Oppeln

+ Major (01.09.1934) Kommandantur von Oppeln

+ Oberstleutnant (01.03.1937 #53) Kommandanten des Truppen?bungsplatzes Lamsdorf.

January 1939 Commander III./ IR 101.

+ Oberst (01.03.1940 #18) (S) Still in that rank May 1944

? Prussian Iron Cross, 2nd Class

? Prussian Iron Cross, 1st Class (30.10.1918) FA 303

? Saxon Albert Order, Knight 2nd Class with Swords (09.01.1918) FA A 220

? Austrian Military Merit Cross, 3rd Class with War Decoration and Gold Bar (denoting a second award)

? Turkish War Medal (?Iron Crescent?)

? Wound Badge in Silver (15.08.1918)

? German Army Observer?s Badge (date missing)

missing the award of WW2

? Deutsches Kreuz in Gold (09.12.1941) Kommandeur, Infaterie-Regiment 321

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank

Alex

Edited by jaba1914

Guest Rick Research

I'd like to know why he went from a German Cross regimental commander in 1941 to the (S) list by 1944, passed over for promotion!!!

If I am not mistaken, Werner Kirsten was promoted to Generalmajor on 01-09-1943. He is listed in Volume 6 of the Biblio Generals series. All that is given is his date, place of birht and death (28.08.1892 Premessen, 10.10.1951 Perwo-Uralsk/UdSSR), date of entry on active duty(26.08.1911), retirement (30.11.1932) and reactivation (01.06.1934). The only assignment listed is as commander of Inf. R. 7, but he is not listed among the pre-war commanders in Volume 2 of Wegner's Stellenbesetzung (also by Biblio). No photo either.

A rather obsure individual to say the least.

Andy

He's not listed as a General in either Keilig (1958) nor in the May 1944 Seniority List, where he appears as Oberst 1940.

Looks a little bit difficult. Have someone more information. Why he got the German Cross?

Regards

Alex

Guest Rick Research

IR 321 was in 197. Inf Div, so in December 1941 they were banging against the doors of Moscow. This regiment was ground up and its surviors sent into other units of the division in 1943 under Army Group Center. The entire division was destroyed in the Soviet summer offensive of 1944.

That's the funny thing about officers like this. Someone thinks they have enough information on his date of promotion to GM to list him in Biblio's series, but without providing it, no way to verify. That he is not in Keilig is not too surprising, but not shown as such in the Seniority list is a greater mystery. At least Alex now has his date and place of birth and death!

I just wish authors were more willing/able to provide their sources. Books on these subjects need to be chock full of footnotes (as the SS and Polizei General series is!)

Andy

Guest Rick Research

Ah, but then the footnotes would be longer than the books! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

I've got a cheapo edition 1923 Reichsheer list much annotated by a Weimar police officer (who himself

"vanishes" with one of those common last names and no first names, including notes on a WW2 General HE jotted scribblings as a Monsignor at the Vatican AFTER the Second War and of course that guy is among Keilig's proofreading missing. :banger:

We do what we can with the puzzle pieces still in the box!

Ah, but then the footnotes would be longer than the books! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

I've got a cheapo edition 1923 Reichsheer list much annotated by a Weimar police officer (who himself

"vanishes" with one of those common last names and no first names, including notes on a WW2 General HE jotted scribblings as a Monsignor at the Vatican AFTER the Second War and of course that guy is among Keilig's proofreading missing. :banger:

We do what we can with the puzzle pieces still in the box!

Any chance it's related to my much jotted in 1932 edition? I showed it to you in the parking lot @ 3 years ago.