News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Odd '14 EK1

the frames are beginning to separate. i get the feeling that this is a dug example that someone has cleaned up.

or EVEN worse: the cleaning agent used has caused the frames to separate... :banger:

anyone care to make an attempt at making sense of the scratches on the back?

Edited by Eric Stahlhut

i guess one of the questions is: did this cross indeed belong to vizefeldwebel ludwig schmid, who died at tourmignies on june 15th, 1918?

part of jadgstaffel boelke?

i've done some website surfing in the last hour and here's what i've found so far:

schmid was a pilot in fliegerabteilung 294b (bavarian)-artillerie. he and his observer, michael kultberger/kuhberger were shot down. they are both buried at billy-berclau cemetary.

p.s. i edited out a statement about this guy being on an aces list--i misread the title of the webpage. sorry 'bout that!

Edited by Eric Stahlhut

off%20topic.gif

Well-this is everything but not a typical "KO"! Doesn't matter what's stamped under the catch,the pin is wrong for a KO.So-im my oppinion we've got a heavy damaged "KO" with a replaced pin. Can't tell the scratchings are old or not.....

Micha

i agree 100%...

newpost.gif attachicon.gif'14 EK1 H.B.G.

and it hase the saime core as joure hbg,,,with also a odd frame system,,,

infakt the whole setup,,,frame ,pin system is not like 1914 type at all..

more 1939 ,,,but to bad to be original in my upiniun,,,

jou cant seriusly take these crosses fore wreal,,,on every schow these things are left behind,,

jou schuld leave them to in the future..

they are a bad investement...

sorry kay

off%20topic.gif

i agree 100%...

newpost.gif attachicon.gif'14 EK1 H.B.G.

and it hase the saime core as joure hbg,,,with also a odd frame system,,,

infakt the whole setup,,,frame ,pin system is not like 1914 type at all..

more 1939 ,,,but to bad to be original in my upiniun,,,

jou cant seriusly take these crosses fore wreal,,,on every schow these things are left behind,,

jou schuld leave them to in the future..

they are a bad investement...

sorry kay

sorry kay,

but i must cheerfully disagree with everything you have said. there is nothing wrong with either the frame or the core--with the exception that they have obviously been mistreated. as i previously mentioned, the pin is atypical for a ko-marked example. as micha stated, the pin has been replaced (with a period pin).

and these crosses always have been a very good investment! :lol:

here is an image of the above cross flanked by two other ko examples (lower row). i have also provided additional crosses with similar pins for you to see (upper row). i grabbed whatver i had on hand at the moment. all are 1914 period crosses and are roughly 42mm.

perhaps the reason the frame looks different on the "l. schmid" piece to you is because it has been cleaned?

Edited by Eric Stahlhut