News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Opinions on ORE 4th class with swords

I was wondering what everyone thinks as to its authenticity. I'm going to be selling off my entire collection of militaria short of my CEF medals to finance the publishing of a new book and want to be sure its 100%. Now the one thing i will say is that if you look at the reverse crown the beads are indented not protruding???? never seen that before. I will get some better pics done of the order as these don't do it any justice and i'm embarassed to post these. I don't see any markings on it.

Cheers

Chris

I did think about the swords but the hilt is pretty narrow however they are more of a gold colour then shown in the picture. The dirt and grim and tarnish on it sure do make it seem like its period. Could it be a jewelers copy?

I think that cross is made of brass. Is that correct? Greetings Mike

The cross looks to be some kind of metal that has been silver gilt; brass would be the most likely candidate? Have you come across this before?

Edited by censlenov

It's been suggested on another forum that this may have been an award dating from 1916-18. Which is why the materials used arn't consistent with earlier production issues (solid silver). The person who suggested that idea stated that around 1916 solid silver awards were replaced by a gilt "pot metal". It's a plausible theory and the piece definately has some age to it. When i get a good photo taken the quality of the eagle is absolutely breath taking.

Searching around the forum i found http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29478&hl=red+eagle if you study the swords on the 3rd class in post 2 they are very similar to the one i have.

Searching here (i know these are eagles on 3rd class)

http://medalnet.net/Eagle_Design.htm I'd have to say my eagle looks very similar to 4 th type 1854 - 1918 made by Wagner silver gilt decoration

The more i look at it the more i like it as a period piece and the late war explanation make alot of sense.

Still looking for more feedback before i sell it off.

Cheers

Chris

I know these pieces but do never believe that they are between 1916 - 1918 were manufactured. Why? Non-ferrous metals (Buntmetall) was an important commodity in the WWI are not silver. I think the cross for a production after 1920 while also addressing the different design of the crown would be explainable. Greeting Mike

I know these pieces but do never believe that they are between 1916 - 1918 were manufactured. Why? Non-ferrous metals (Buntmetall) was an important commodity in the WWI are not silver. I think the cross for a production after 1920 while also addressing the different design of the crown would be explainable. Greeting Mike

Thanks so much for your opinion Mike at least i can say its not an outright forgery.

Cheers

Chris

Here are the better pictures as promised. Still not happy about how the eagle is showing up its much nicer in person. What would be a fair price to ask for this piece as i will be moving it on shortly to finance publishing costs for a new book.