News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US Medals for Korean War

I have become interested in the service of the US 18th Fighter-Bomber Wing in the Korean War, because it included 2 Squadron, South African Air Force. I now have three medal groups to ground crewmen who served in the SAAF during this war and the medals they were awarded were:

SA Korea Medal, UN Korea Medal, Korean Korea Medal.

Medals to SAAF pilots are rare and very expensive.

I would like to add to my collection a representative group of medals that would have been typical of a US ground crewman in the 18th Fighter-Bomber Wing. I suspect that a genuine contemporary group would be difficult to find and would be beyond my means, so I thought of making up a group using modern replacement medals.

I would be very grateful for any advice on this subject.

Regards

Brett

Many Korean war vets now also have the Korean Korean War medal.

They started issuing it about @ 10 years ago.

Did the 18th receive the Korean presidential unit citation? That was often worn by USAF persons on their ribbon bar (if the unit received it).

Edited by Ulsterman

Many Korean war vets now also have the Korean Korean War medal.

They started issuing it about @ 10 years ago.

Did the 18th receive the Korean presidential unit citation? That was often worn by USAF persons on their ribbon bar (if the unit received it).

And since I think no one now in service is a Korean War veteran, policy on whether one can wear it or not has been pretty "flexible". In effect, no one really cares what the old guys wear. (In the same league with the "commemorative" medals.) How "normal" do we want this reconstruction (invention) to be and how much fantasy should come into play?

Hi Kvart, Ed & Ulsterman

Many thanks for your replies. I had already acquired US Korea and UN Korea Medals from a local militaria dealer. A friend in the US sent me ribbons for both the US Distinguished Unit Citation and Korean Presidential Unit Citation, both of which were awarded to the 18th Fighter-Bomber Wing. Also after a long fruitless hunt, I have ordered a couple of Korean Korea Medals from a dealer in Canada.

In spite of the above, I suspected there might be more, so I am pleased to find out about the National Defence Service Medal, which will now be on my shopping list.

Thanks again.

Brett