News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This badge has just popped up on WAF and I thought I would post it here also. For now, 50-50 split of opinions--sort of falling in the catagory of how do you prove it is not a good badge since we have never seen this one before.

For me, I do not like it, but that certainly does not make it bad. I do not like the ring on the back, the AS in a triangle type of hardware, and some other features. In other words, maybe an AS cast? I do not know, but want to get it over here for a look.

The fitting of the ball hinge and the catch sure look good though.

John

Edited by John Robinson

I'm inclined to think it's a good one. Whatever caused that oval line is anyones guess, but its NOT a casting seam that's for sure. Die characteristics are 100% spot on for AS. The mis-alignment of the water levels either side of the spout is absolutely textbook AS.

Do you have dimensions. If its 55-56mm in height then its almost certainly not a casting which would have probably shown some degree of shrinkage.

My gut feel is that it is probably good, but a hands on inspection would be needed to be sure.

The badge is not tombak nor is it zinc. There are also no shear marks on any of the sides. This is a casting from an original made from high quality dental molds. Perfect in size and demensions. Without holding the piece I would say it is no good.

~Cheers, Ed

I've had plenty of KM badges which have lost thier gilt finish revealing a Zink base metal base ranging from very pale grey (Feinzink) through to very dark grey (Kriegsmetall).

Obviously not tombak, but I'd be interested to know how can you determine from these images that it is not Zink ?

Maybe I'm influenced by doubts of them using more sophisticated centrifugal casting methods and more complex staked-in fittings (more complex at least than simply soldering) for such a low value badge, but, while definitely agreeing that a hands-on would be needed to be 100% confident in this one, I still think it may well be good.

I've had plenty of KM badges which have lost thier gilt finish revealing a Zink base metal base ranging from very pale grey (Feinzink) through to very dark grey (Kriegsmetall).

Obviously not tombak, but I'd be interested to know how can you determine from these images that it is not Zink ?

Maybe I'm influenced by doubts of them using more sophisticated centrifugal casting methods and more complex staked-in fittings (more complex at least than simply soldering) for such a low value badge, but, while definitely agreeing that a hands-on would be needed to be 100% confident in this one, I still think it may well be good.

As stated I would need a hands on evaluation. Recently I've held a hand cast RK GAB25 that was a perfect in the photos and a casting of a Schwerin HSF. THe GAB25 had fake bubbling and the HSF was supposed to be an early piece but was not tombak. This badge may very well be good but I would think that a Feinzink piece would not have so many gouges on the reverse (being more mid-war) and it's to light in color to be kriegsmetal. The badge does look correct for that maker but unless I can hold it I prefer to side with caution.

~Ed