News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Saxon officer with interresting ribbon bar

Hi everybody,

Here is a photo of Leutnant Fritz Lisso from I.R. Nr. 179. This officer didn't appear in the Saxon RL from 1914 but appeared in the EhrenRL 14-18. He died in october, the 8th 1918. He received both EK, SA3bX (23.12.1915), silver wound badge.

My question is about the other ribbons. The second seems to be the SA3b, but like he was not in the Army before the war, for me it's impossible. But wait and see. So if someone can help me. Of course I haven't find his name in the Hohenzollern -both volumes -, Thuringian States and of Wurttemberg.

Christophe

Guest Rick Research

Fritz Lisso was commissioned Leutnant with a Patent of 23 May 1914 "H" which probably means he was actually commissioned in 1916.

It is probably a Friedrich August Medal in Silver from before he was commissioned-- remember that on these old photos, yellow comes out looking darker than blue.

But then what is his 4th ribbon? I think I see mostly dark with very narrow edges... an Anhalt Friedrich Cross?

Excellent portrait-- and another one where we can date the stupid mini-EK ribbon bar device as wartime since he didn't survive!

Guest Rick Research

Because everybody in Germany knew what an Iron Cross 2nd Class ribbon (5 million for the Great War) was;

Because there was never any regulation authorizing it;

and because it just cost extra money without serving any PURPOSE.

They didn't wear little tiny Friedrich August Medals on THAT ribbon.

I've got piles of these weirdo Saxon fashion statements here... I thought I'd posted a mass scan of some.... guess not.

I'll plunk a scan of an assortment of them here later.

Ulsterman, I don't think it's the Centenary medal. I know that another officer of this regiment received the Anhalt Friedrich cross 2nd class. So it can be possible that the four ribbon is this one. I have no more clue.

For the iron cross claps on iron cross ribbon I have another interresting photo of one FeldwebelLeutnant who wore one ribbon bar with such device. Have a look.

Christophe

Guest Rick Research

And a MUCH better portrait than I have to "prove" that the mini device is NOT--as foolish dealers claim--a device for the 1st Class. :cheers:

Lisso was a regular. Commissioned in 1915/16, he would have been born about 1895. He looks older with all his hair shaved off as if he was bald, but he was just a kid.

Well, to US anyway! :catjava:

Rick,

What is the difference between SV4X and SV3bX on ribbon bar? Is it the swords ? I know that for SV3BX the swords are in gold, but for the SV4X are the swords in silver ? I have never seen one ribbon bar with such devices. Do you have one in your collection ?

Christophe

Rick,

About Lisso's ribbon bar, I read the link and it's perhaps "4th ribbon is unknown?appears to be faded away pale blue and not a Saxon Lifesaving Medal". What do you think about it. You wrote this about David's ribbon bar.

Christophe

Guest Rick Research

I still have no clue what that ribbon on G?rtner's ribbon bar is supposed to be. :(

Here are some examples of the weird spectrum shifts that "negative" Friedrich August Medal ribbons, though-- making the pale yellow look DARK. Compare these with Lisso's 2nd ribbon in your photo:

As you can see from the medals, these are all Silver Friedrich Augusts-- something that would be :speechless1: from ribbons alone!

Here's the "peacetime" yellow and black Friedrich August Medal ribbon with wartime war merit bar which appears uniformly solid black:

It's simply WEIRD what happened with yellow and dark blue (lightens) in these old photos!

• 3 weeks later...