News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What are the laws for a demilled MP40 in the US?

FlaHP

The weapon was demilled in the UK after being brought back after the war. Its dated 1943 and seems to be demilled by a tack weld.

Hi FlaHP,

I'm not an expert on this and may be a bit out of date but I'll give this a try. To my knowledge, according to U.S. law, to be demilled a full auto firearm's receiver had to be vertically flame cut in three places with a torch, which of course ruins the look of them as well.

Here's one from a Thompson SMG that's been flame cut into 3 pieces with the one that attaches to the barrel completely removed:

(pics from International Military Antiques site)

They've sold kits for ages (Shotgun News, etc.) where the receivers have been replaced by phony's that are made to look right but are non-functional.

Otherwise, if it's been done in any other way I believe they are still considered to be a full auto firearm and has to be registered as same, tax paid, etc.

The laws over here (and in many other countries) are NUTS to say the least and at times even the BATF doesn't understand them all. If you inquire different agents will tell you different things. But when it comes right down to it if you do the littlest thing wrong you may expect to receive a visit from several well equipped agents. Trust me... there are horror stories out there (just search the web, read gun magazines, talk to dealers at shows) and most of them are sadly all too true. :(

I've never purchased full auto or even one of the kits. Only thing I'd ever get was one of the old Replica Arms replica's made of metal, plastic or wood depending what was on the original, made to look, function and even break down like the real one but with fully blocked barrels and made to slightly different size specs and out of pot metals and such in order that they could not fire and are considered legally by the gov't to be "non-guns"... ie: like models.

I could have gotten or could get a class III if I wanted to go through the paperwork/hassle but to me it's just not worth it. Basically from what I see once you do that... they own you! And as confused as things have always been with such things you end up paranoid as if you even think or imagine you've done one little thing wrong... they'll be at your door! Not a fun way to live.

Plus, if you get into full auto stuff you basically have to have a TON of money.

And this doesn't even get into importing such things. That's a WHOLE other ballgame!!!! :speechless1: It's not clear to me in your question if this is still in England or was originally and has since come over here. If it's over here and done the way they do it and it's not been registered... RUN... RUN FAR AND FUN FAST AND DON'T LOOK BACK!!!! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

My advice... and again I hope others will kick in here and set things straight if I'm wrong about any of this... but if I were you and I wanted an example of a full auto simply seek out and get one of those replica's that are considered to be non-guns.

Here's a few quick links:

http://www.ima-usa.com/index.php/cPath/4_215

http://www.circlekb.com/page/CKCG/CTGY/20thcenturyreplicas

This used to be "Replica Arms" back in the day. Looks like they don't carry the full auto replica's anymore.

http://www.navyarms.com/

http://www.iracinc.com/

http://www.dsarms.com/German-FG42-2nd-Mode...ductinfo/FG422/

As you can see these run from "reasonable" to outrageous!!!! :o Just depends on what you want and how much you'd want to spend.

But trust me, it's a whole lot easier and cheaper all the way round to go with such things. You can even find some of the old Replica Arms type stuff (made in Japan I believe) on Ebay from time to time but mostly pistols from what I've seen.

Or you can pick up a copy of Shotgun News as again they generally have a ton of "kits" listed which are basically most if not all the parts you need to recreate a particular firearm sans the receiver and full auto sear (as having just those without a Class III FFL is also highly illegal!!!!). You can also get the dummy receivers and have a nice piece when you're done. Or you can buy them already complete. These are often what you see at big gun, militaria and armored vehicle shows mounted on jeeps and other armored military vehicles. Dummy's or made to fire blanks.

I'd strongly recommend doing some searches on the web. There are some excellent gun forums with some extremely knowledgeable people who can give you the up to date info and tell you the ins and outs in as much detail as you'd like.

But to me... even considering getting a dewat of any type firearms from overseas or one that's already here but not done to the BATF's satisfaction is at least a huge headache and could be more trouble than you've ever asked for in your life. As for me, I'd pass.

Hope this helps. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Dan thats the best responce I have seen in some time on the web.

Thanks for all the help. Yea I agree it sounds like a head ache and is not worth it.

No problem at all. :cheers: Glad I could help. Just out of curiosity what is it you're looking for as again you may be able to find a not too expensive (comparatively) copy re: the old Replica Arms. I've had one of their MP40's for ages. I actually had another. Long story but had bought one from the old Der Gauleiter auctions/sales catalog for $75 and another popped up in my neck of the woods afterwards for $50. I got the $50 one and returned the other. Been kicking myself ever since as they go for upwards of about $300 to $400 nowadays! :banger: But at times you can luck out and find them cheaper.

You may also inquire with some of the reenactment groups as they get stuff all the time, most of which fire blanks.

But as far as the real stuff that's been made dewat and then had a replacement receiver, as you see you can easily spend $1,000 depending on what you're looking to get. Some like the Stens go much cheaper but still alot for something to hang on the wall or put with a display.

Another option is resin movie props. Some look very real but are probably your cheapest alternative, or perhaps the Airsoft copies some of which look pretty good. Check out this search on Ebay:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksi...-All-Categories

I saw several Thompsons, an MP 40, some AK47's in the $200 to $400 range but a ton much cheaper. Even a very nice looking M1 Garand for $200 some odd... some buy it now and some depending on how the auction goes.

But best of luck. Hope you find what you're looking for for a good price. :beer:

No problem at all. :cheers: Glad I could help. Just out of curiosity what is it you're looking for as again you may be able to find a not too expensive (comparatively) copy re: the old Replica Arms. I've had one of their MP40's for ages. I actually had another. Long story but had bought one from the old Der Gauleiter auctions/sales catalog for $75 and another popped up in my neck of the woods afterwards for $50. I got the $50 one and returned the other. Been kicking myself ever since as they go for upwards of about $300 to $400 nowadays! :banger: But at times you can luck out and find them cheaper.

You may also inquire with some of the reenactment groups as they get stuff all the time, most of which fire blanks.

But as far as the real stuff that's been made dewat and then had a replacement receiver, as you see you can easily spend $1,000 depending on what you're looking to get. Some like the Stens go much cheaper but still alot for something to hang on the wall or put with a display.

Another option is resin movie props. Some look very real but are probably your cheapest alternative, or perhaps the Airsoft copies some of which look pretty good. Check out this search on Ebay:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksi...-All-Categories

I saw several Thompsons, an MP 40, some AK47's in the $200 to $400 range but a ton much cheaper. Even a very nice looking M1 Garand for $200 some odd... some buy it now and some depending on how the auction goes.

But best of luck. Hope you find what you're looking for for a good price. :beer:

It came up in a conversation. It started out as an Ebay conversation that grew from that I was going to sell my collection next year to him asking about a gun his family ended up with after the war. I had never gotten that far into the collecting to have an answer.

From what it sounds like the Brits welded the receiver shut. He said it had the date 1943 on it and it looked nice and origional.

I didn't want to buy it but I hate not knowing the answer and figured this was the place to ask.

Thanks again Dan

I am sure this will help others. I have been reading old post for 2 months now trying to get up to speed. When I get all my stuff out of storage I plan to post up and make sure I didn't get too burned over the years. I did start a thread today about a flag I just inherited but thats all I have pictures of right now from WWII. I have a great blade ( the prize of my collection) that I may post this week but I am not sure if this is the right site.