News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help! Who was Rittmeister Hemmerde?

I have just received this goblet. It was presented to Rittmeister Hemmerde by the Officer Corps of the 1st Leibhusaren Regiment. It is engraved with the names of 27 donor officers, who read like a 'Who's Who' of German nobility. It's made by Wagner in 750 silver.

The thing is - there's no date on it.

Can anyone tell me who Rittmeister Hemmerde was, and when he served in the Leibhusaren?

Judging by the engraving, I think it might be mid-19th Century.

Here's the front.

Edited by Robin Lumsden

Robin,

Rittmeister Hemmerde was initially commissioned on the 12th of July 1870 and promoted to Premier-Lieutenant on the 25th of July 1878. He is shown in the lists I have as certainly serving with the 1. Leib-Husaren-Regiment Nr. 1 from 1877-1885. It would appear that he was originally an Infantry Officer serving in the Niederrheinisches F?silier-Regiment Nr. 39. He retired on the 12th of November 1885 with a simultaneous promotion to Rittmeister.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

He would certainly appear to have been a social fish out of water in THAT crowd, so he must have had LOTS of money to spread around, while it lasted.

Perhaps he had no choice--

he could have been medically discharged.

He'd not in the 1908/09 Orders Almanac or in the 1914-18 Honor Rank List, suggesting he was dead by 1908.

lovely piece, robin!

SUUM CUIQUE.

might i ask for a translation in

light of the Leibhusaren.

both my sons Latin and Latin texts

don't get me to a satisfactory interpretation.

thanks!

joe

It means 'To Each His Own'. It doesn't really relate to the Leibhusarenregiment, but it's on the guard star and imperial Orders.

Robin,

I have not been able to determine his first name yet.

I would agree with Rick that it looks like he was pensioned-off with the permission to wear regimental uniform at the 15 year point probably on account of being physically no longer fit for service.

With regards to the 1908/09 Orders Almanac, he did not have any awards listed in the 1884 Rang- und Quartier-Liste, the year before his retirement.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

Well, he was commissioned in 1870, which means he had some version of the 1870/71 campaign medal-- depending on whether he was in the field or a stay at home.

The Prussian lists did NOT show war medals :speechless: so we have to go by rank dates and so on.

Guest Brian von Etzel

I would certainly try to dig up a copy of the Reg. history from the Franco Prussian war on the Niederrheinisches F?silier-Regiment Nr. 39. He might have been quite the hero.

Robin, I certainly recognize the last names, and some of them appear as young men in my grandfather's photos. Very possibly some of their sons served with von Etzel. And, some of these guys were no doubt known by Leo as they were more in his age group.

...just deciphered a photo with a v. Mueller.

Edited by Brian von Etzel