News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help! Who was Rittmeister Hemmerde?

And here are some more of the names of the donor officers, who might give a clue as to the date.

Can anyone with better knowledge of Imperial research than me lend a hand here?

Thanks.

I couldn't help but notice on the edge of the cup the name von Prittwitz und Gaffron. I just received the postcard below yesterday. Same person? or just a relative??

Not the same von Prittwitz und Gaffron

1. Leib-Husaren-Regiment Nr. 1 von Prittwitz und Gaffron rose to the rank of charakterisierter Oberstleutnant on retiring from Ulanen-Regiment Kaiser Alexander II. von Ru?land (1. Brandenburgisches) Nr. 3 on 18 May 1905.

Regards

Glenn

Not the same von Prittwitz und Gaffron

1. Leib-Husaren-Regiment Nr. 1 von Prittwitz und Gaffron rose to the rank of charakterisierter Oberstleutnant on retiring from Ulanen-Regiment Kaiser Alexander II. von Ru?land (1. Brandenburgisches) Nr. 3 on 18 May 1905.

Regards

Glenn

Thanks, Glenn, I was just curious when I saw the name.

And some more.

About von Puttkamer:

General Heinrich Georg Ludwig Freiherr (Baron) von Puttkamer

General Major Heinrich was born in 1846. He fought in the Prussian infantry in the wars of 1864 (against Denmark) and 1866 (against Austria) and was highly decorated. In the 1890's, shortly before marrying Marie Madeleine Gunther, he commanded Infantry Regiment #118 in Mainz. Later he served in the Order of the Knights of St. John (Johanniter-Orden) and in 1914 acted on behalf of the Red Cross for the military at the start of WW I. In the years after his retirement, General Heinrich happily made some enemies himself by publishing incisive political-military satires and critical analyses of the Prussian military system.

Otto

Otto,

General Heinrich Georg Ludwig Freiherr (Baron) von Puttkamer

this Freiherr von Puttkamer is not the later General. Rittmeister Freiherr von Puttkamer was still a squadron commander in . Leib-Husaren-Regiment Nr. 1 when he received his patent as a Major on the 15th of February 1887 (he had been promoted without a patent somewhat earlier). He left the army sometime between 1891 and 1894. I have him listed in Ulanen-Regiment von Schmidt (1. Pommersches) Nr. 4 in 1891.

Heinrich Freiherr von Puttkamer was serving as an Oberst-Lieutenant in Anhaltisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 93 in 1891.

Regards

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

Robin,

more good news today :beer: Andy Baus (who still has difficulties posting here) sent me the following on Rittmeister Hemmerde to pass on to you:

Heinrich Leopold Hemmerde, born 25.05.1847 in Hannover. Vizefeldwebel in Reserve Landwehr Batl. Hannover 73. 13.11.1869 Sek.Lt. of the reserve of IR 57. 12.07.1870 Sek.Lt. in F?s. R. 39 (D?sseldorf) with a patent of 12.07.70. 11.03.1876 transferred to LHR 1. 02.05.1878 Prem.Lt. 12.11.85 retired as a captain. 21.04.1898 died in Hannover.

Also, from the Ranglisten:

1884-12.11.85 in 3./LHR 1 (Danzig)

1883 in 5./LHR 1 (Danzig-Langfuhr)

1880-1882 Adjutant of LHR 1 (Danzig)

1879 in 3./LHR 1 (Preu?isch Stargardt)

11.03.76-1878 in 1./LHR 1 (Danzig)

1874-1876 Adjutant II. Batl./F?silier Regt. 39 (D?seldorf)

1871-1873 in 10./F?silier Regt. 39 (D?sseldorf)

12.07.70-1870 in 5./F?silier R. 39 on active service

Regards

Glenn

Robin,

more good news today :beer: Andy Baus (who still has difficulties posting here) sent me the following on Rittmeister Hemmerde to pass on to you:

Heinrich Leopold Hemmerde, born 25.05.1847 in Hannover. Vizefeldwebel in Reserve Landwehr Batl. Hannover 73. 13.11.1869 Sek.Lt. of the reserve of IR 57. 12.07.1870 Sek.Lt. in F?s. R. 39 (D?sseldorf) with a patent of 12.07.70. 11.03.1876 transferred to LHR 1. 02.05.1878 Prem.Lt. 12.11.85 retired as a captain. 21.04.1898 died in Hannover.

Also, from the Ranglisten:

1884-12.11.85 in 3./LHR 1 (Danzig)

1883 in 5./LHR 1 (Danzig-Langfuhr)

1880-1882 Adjutant of LHR 1 (Danzig)

1879 in 3./LHR 1 (Preu?isch Stargardt)

11.03.76-1878 in 1./LHR 1 (Danzig)

1874-1876 Adjutant II. Batl./F?silier Regt. 39 (D?seldorf)

1871-1873 in 10./F?silier Regt. 39 (D?sseldorf)

12.07.70-1870 in 5./F?silier R. 39 on active service

Regards

Glenn

Glenn.

What can I say.

Thanks again. :cheers:

There's something in the post for you.

And please pass on my very sincere thanks to Andy Baus.

Edited by Robin Lumsden

• 3 months later...

Hi Robin,

this does not add much but this is Hemmerde's entry in the biographical section of Mackensen's history of the Schwarze Husaren. Of note is the earlier use of the term karakter instead of charakter.

Regards

Glenn

• 1 year later...

Here's the side. (My precious!) :love:

I assume this is a Death's head Husar Rgt cup. Never have I seen one of these and you obviously have many. It would look much nicer if it were mine. :rolleyes:

Here's the side. (My precious!) :love:

I assume this is a Death's head Husar Rgt cup. Never have I seen one of these and you obviously have many. It would look much nicer if it were mine. :rolleyes:

I always remember the first time I flicked thru Andrew Mollo's GERMAN UNIFORMS OF WW2 and saw the sign on the wall of the 5th comp. 5th Tank Regiment barracks....what a display item that would be! (the bottom photo on page 23). Looks like the wreath and skull 'n' crossbones are metal and the rest wonderfully painted. :love:

Never found it for sale though LOL.

C

Edited by Colin Davie